Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.24843%

Vintage Sonor for Vintage Rogers?

So I have an old 20/12/16 Sonor Teardrop kit - it's a late Teardrop, with the 6 ply (I think?) shells, probably dates around '71. Someone wants to swap a 60s Rogers Dayton-era kit of the same sizes, similar condition (a non-original hoop or two, nothing major and it's for playing, not collecting). I should be able to try it out, but want more info as well.

I hear 60s Rogers drums are a cut above, but from what I understand the late Sonor Teardrop are also revered for quality. I dig the Sonor sans a finicky, hard to tune floor tom. From a recording and parts replacement perspective, is the Rogers that much different/better than what I've got? Are they sonically in the same general area when you factor out tuning and heads?

I own a COB Powertone snare and dig it, but I have no other experience with Rogers drums beyond a Tower tom-tom I had for a brief time. Oh, and buying his and keeping mine isn't an option. I wish it was. Thanks.

Posted on 9 years ago

The earlier Sonor teardrop kits (pre ca 1965) were 3 ply, extremely thin shells with rerings. These are more sought after than the later 6 ply teardrops without rerings, AFAIK.

I don't know if this is any help...

/Magnus

Posted on 9 years ago

I would do the trade. Sonor demand is limited in the US for various reasons. Go USA and get the Rogers :)

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 9 years ago

Like many others here will attest: I love my Rogers!I have bought and sold a dozen kits in the last year and enjoyed them all for different reasons, but I always end up back on the Rogers. I can throw Emps on them and tune them high or throw EC3s on them and tune them low. The high quality build and bearing edge profile make for easy tuning and a sound that can easily be both modern and vintage. I do 99% of all my recording with them and techs never complain. Also, I'm sure your Powertone snare (which I also adore!) is feeling lonely!

BTW, I have nothing against vintage Sonors and would love to own one some day, so that's not the point of my rant.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 9 years ago

Rogers all day long !

Warning ... Avoid member statuscymbal here, vintage_collector on DFO , and americanpatriot10 on eBay. Email me for his name. All are the same shady guy who has burned me and a list of other members on both boards . He is also selling on Facebook too ..
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for the input!

Posted on 9 years ago

A freind owned a 6 ply Sonor kit,and I thought they were great drums,I thought they were kind of Gretschy sounding,and good build quality I thought.

Dayton era Rogers,of which I have a kit,are great drums too,at that time they were probably the best built drums in the world.

In the U.S. Sonor Teardrop parts can be hard to find,and expensive,even more so if you have to purchase internationally.

Rogers parts are not cheap either,but if present on the kit you are looking at you should not have to worry much about them not being operational.

The nice thing about Rogers kits is that most of the time you can buy one today and it will be ready to gig tomorrow.

I am pretty sure the 6 ply Teardrops are not bringing as much money as a Dayton Rogers.

Posted on 9 years ago

Ditto to eamesuser`s comments.I`ve had mine since 1967 and they still give me all the high and low tuning anyone could ever ask for and always have that Rogers class.Like someone said before on this thread-they`ll give you that vintage or modern sound depending on the tuning.I say go for the Rogers and the swivo hardware is a bonus too.Best of luck in your swap decision.

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks Eamesuser and Wayne, that's the input I needed. But one thing I somehow missed at first glance…the floor tom isn't a Dayton. It's the same wrap, but it's older and to complicate matters it has Bread and Butter lugs. A few are cracked. I know those things cost and eventually crack even if they're functional, so my decision just got a bit more difficult. What would you say my set and the Rogers set are worth cash wise if they were bought as is?

Posted on 9 years ago

I don't have any Sonors. So I really can't say much, other than they're german made. And anything German made is over the top quality. I do however have a Rogers kit. And while I usually use my ludwig or slingerland kit for shows....My Rogers always takes the studio time. They're really are a cut above the rest. And I can tell you, I am picky as hell tuning my kits. But they tune pretty easy.

Jason

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here