Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Vintage Snare Challenge - what 2 best cover the sound spectrum?

I am interested in the opinions of those who will accept my “challenge”.

(Another way to look at this is—if you could only take two snares with you to Gilligan’s Island, which two would they be?)

Background

--I am primarily a guitar guy putting a home studio in my new house. The kit is Gretsch round badge, 13 / 16/ 22 and if I am lucky in my search, maybe a 14 floor tom. I am a classic 50s / 60s rock and roll in my taste and own songwriting.

-I want to have two snares of comparable vintage (50s – 70s) that offer as much range of tones as possible so my drummer has some flexibility, but I don’t want to be a collector.

--I own one snare, an either 6 ply or 3 ply 8 lug Gretsch 5.5. x 14 with microsensitive strainer. So would appear to be the best standard one they make. (It’s probably 6 ply—it’s pre label and I haven’t seen it physically yet and that‘s why I don’t know; delivery will be next month and then I’ll know.)

--The snares shouldn’t be stuff like fancy Black Beauties from the 20s. Those snares are gorgeous but “bang for the buck” is literarily the term of the day here; just decent original vintage stuff that can be found on Ebay/CL with patience for under $1k each.

My Research

--In my view, one snare should be wood; one metallic. First, please let me know if you disagree with this.

--My conclusions have come in large part to the excellent contributions of many of you here, for which I am grateful. Based on your knowledge, it seems like the following would be the best:

Wooden Snares

--Rogers Powertone or Tower or maybe a Slingerland Radio King. Dynasonics sound appealing but I can’t justify the 2 -3x price of the other fine Rogers snares. Beavertail lugs only. Cleveland or Dayton.

I’m having a harder time learning about Radio King and so I am favoring the Rogers. BTW, I have a wooden Gretsch snare as mentioned above. But I’ve read consistently poor reviews of Gretsch-- if someone thinks I can get away with the snare I have, let me know!

Metallic Snares

--Ludwig Supraphonic, or even Acrolite. 6.5 Bonham sounds pretty cool. What about Dynasonic COB--does it outdo a supra?

CHALLENGE:

1) What do you think of my conclusions?

2) If you agree, wholly, partially or disagree, can you tell me what era of snare you would recommend? I’m particularly having a bit of difficultly knowing which are the “best” years of metallic snares like supraphonics and acrolites, etc.

Thanks!

Posted on 15 years ago

I'd say you're on the right track. I know if it were me, I'd certainly want my 6.5X14 Supraphonic on the island with me. As for the wood snare, a Powertone is hard to beat (no pun intended). Either that or a 60's Camco Oaklawn badge - That's a great sounding drum.

I know nothing about RK's so can't help there.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

Hello! I have just discovered this forum and hope to get many of my own questions answered soon. As to your question, I would agree with one wood and one metal (prefferably COB). I have always preferred a thin metal snair because of the crisp sound that I can get from it. Wood drums provide warmer tones. I have two wood Gretsch drums and have not experienced any problems with them. You say that you are primarily a guitarist so I imagine you have played vintage guitars that were great and others that were frustrating and would not stay in tune. With vintage drums it is similar. Just having the known name on them is no guarantee that you will be happy with the sound. However, if you take the time to learn how to tune the drum to the tone(s) that work best for it even a piece of crap no name drum can do fine on a desert island.

Posted on 15 years ago

Well I would take my Tower, man I love that snare, but only for special occasions when I needed to impress Mary Ann and Ginger... jazzy little gig, full moon, palm trees... just tease it with the brushes on "Girl From Ipanema."

But just for banging around the hut or doing "Wipe Out" on the sandy beach by the bonfire, I guess this Ol'Acro I picked up a while back... that drum seems virtually indestructable.. and wraps up really tight and crisp.

LoLoLoLo I can't play worth a hoot.. but I do love practicing!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

The two favorite snare drums that I own:

Ludwig 1964 gold sparkle Ludwig 5.5" X 14" Pioneer

Ludwig 1969 5" X 14" Ludalloy Supraphonic

That being said, I usually gig with an early 80's Acrolite.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Keep it simple

- Slingerland Radio King

- Ludwig Supra

I doubt you could realistically have any difficulties with these.

and maybe add a dw for the modern sound...

hit hard
Posted on 15 years ago

From Drum Jones

You say that you are primarily a guitarist so I imagine you have played vintage guitars that were great and others that were frustrating and would not stay in tune. With vintage drums it is similar. Just having the known name on them is no guarantee that you will be happy with the sound.

Generally it's not the guitar's ability to stay in tune that was a problem. That usually can be remedied when it occurs. It was more that some guitars were just inherently gig worthy and could really CUT vs others that could not and never will. Of what I own or have owned:

Best:

-1959 Stratocaster

-1971 Stratocaster (completely different guitar than the 50s one)

-1959 Gretsch 6120 (this one crushed a 1961 and my personal favorite a 1964 double cut AND a double anniversary from the same year. The Double Annivs from the first year of production are touted as "Green 6120s" as they have the same construction. They are not, or at least 59 anniv is not a 59 6120. I tried all of them last year at a reunion gig. The 1959 6120 is the finest rock and roll guitar there is from Gretsch. Period.)

Worst:

-60s Fender Jaguar

-1959 Fender Jazzmaster

But I don't play out anymore. I record, and that's a whole different form of expression. I am looking for studio snares.

I was listening to my band's old recordings on a full 50s Gretsch kit and the bass drum sounds fantastic, but the snare doesn't seem to cut and hence this thread. This may be more how we mixed it however.

_________

Regarding answers so far. Thanks. I do feel like I am on the right road and probably will be there (once I can make a coconut cream pie).

Some lingering questions:

--What about the COB dynasonics? Or does the supra beat that?

--What era/ years of the Supra (6.5)/ Acrolite do you prefer?

Posted on 15 years ago

Totally agree with the first post. Powertone snare drums sound awesome..

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=14880994[/ame]

Ba-Dum..CRASH!

1966 Slingerland "Modern Jazz Outfit"
1960's Zildjian Avedis Cymbals

www.myspace.com/oliverandtheattackofthelovely
Posted on 15 years ago

Supra for the metal, Camco LA (deep) for the wood - if you want to go for another shade altogether a COB's nice as well. I use a Camco but could be a Luddy. Last trip into a studio that's what I took (as well as a vintage DW 5"). Not fond of Gretsch wood snares - bit of a one trick pony IMHO and I don't really like the trick (not as controversial as it sounds - I know a lot of people agree with me).

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here