Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Vintage Slingerland tone?

Hello all,

I have two toms, a late 40s 16x16 floor and a 1960 13x9 and I'm getting a very different tone from both. The 13x9 has a full rounded sound with lots of sustain which I like, but the floor tom has a hollow sound, much less sustain with a slight timpani sound to it. Same heads (aquarian american vintage mediums top and thins on bottoms) interiors on both drums are mahogany.

One big difference I can see is the bearing edges. The 1960 has much more of a pronounced edge to it, where the floor has a really rounded edge.

Is this where a lot of the tonal difference lies or has the difference in manufacturing dates got a lot to do with it as well?

Gregg.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Gregg

Hello all,I have two toms, a late 40s 16x16 floor and a 1960 13x9 and I'm getting a very different tone from both. The 13x9 has a full rounded sound with lots of sustain which I like, but the floor tom has a hollow sound, much less sustain with a slight timpani sound to it. Same heads (aquarian american vintage mediums top and thins on bottoms) interiors on both drums are mahogany.One big difference I can see is the bearing edges. The 1960 has much more of a pronounced edge to it, where the floor has a really rounded edge. Is this where a lot of the tonal difference lies or has the difference in manufacturing dates got a lot to do with it as well?Gregg.

Greg your two toms though the same company totally different drums construction wise! question why are you using the heads you are? is the floor tom out of round, that will cause the sound you described, it will choke the sound it places tension to one spot or side of the head and will not tune properly?? also back to the different periods i use 30's-70's era all the time together with great results,Clapping Happy2

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Suspend the floor tom by hand by the top rim and strike it.Older floor toms have a tendancy to lose their resonance via the legs,especially straight legs.If this is the case,buy some Pearl isolator feet.All my floor toms have them now.But even then,straight legs will mute the resonance.

Posted on 14 years ago

Drum is very in round.

Suspending the drum makes a big difference, I will look into those Pearl isolator feet.

Would it help the resonance if I put a thin piece of rubber between the floor tom mounts and the shell?

The floor tom came with Aquarian modern vintage heads. They are a bit dry. What do you suggest?

Gregg.

Posted on 14 years ago

I would suggest calf . . . or at the very least goat. Those old flat edges

cry out for it.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think the Aquarians might be OK. But I would put a thicker head on the bottom of the FT.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've further isolated some leg mounts with a piece of felt between the mount and shell,but the effect is minor compared to the isolator feet.Funny-my Rockstar set has no isolator feet but fairly wide stance tom legs,and the resonance is good-hmmmmmmmm.

Posted on 14 years ago

This might sound a bit strange but instead of going to the drum shop for a set of Pearl isolator feet I cut some bubble wrap up (small variety) and folded it over onto itself, taped the sides up so I end up with a 3" square, put one under each floor tom leg and......Oh my god. Huge difference, now my 13x9 tom isn't sounding too big.

Gregg.

Posted on 14 years ago

The Gibraltar floating floor tom feet work well also. I guess they work the same as the Pearl Isolation feet. Visually, I think the Gibraltar feet look a bit better with vintage drums. I get them at my local shop for 7 dollars for a set of 3. Super cheap for the easiest sound improvement.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here