Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Vintage Slingerland Silver Sparkle Kit

I was fortunate enough to find a 1958 Slingerland Silver Sparkle Bass Drum & Rack Tom at a very reasonable price some time ago and have been trying to obtain a matching floor tom to complete the kit. The toms during this era of Slingerland, as most probably know, were "pre-badge" drums, as the badges were only mounted on the bass drums and snare drums. Anyway, I finally did find a floor tom with the silver sparkle finish in really nice shape. What made it even better was that it came with with all the correct original hardware for that era (Radio King style two pad tone control, spring loaded leg mounts, etc.). I did have to pay a substantial amount for it, but my goal was to complete the kit. Unfortunately, when I received the drum and compared it to the bass and rack tom, the finish on the floor tom had more of a

"ginger-ale" fade to it than the other two drums. I'll try to get the Webmaster to post a picture for you to see to demonstrate this situation. Here's my dilemna: Do I keep the floor tom with the kit, despite the fact that the finish obviously doesn't match the others (although the hardware and date of manufacture do) or do I sell the floor tom and continue my "hunt" for one that will match? Obviously, the "hunt" will, more than likely, be an extended one! I guess as a last resort I could sell all pieces individually and start from scratch but, obviously, I'd like to avoid that option. ANY AND ALL "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated. This is a tough one for me. band2

Posted on 17 years ago

I would keep the floor tom and wait for the drum that is a closer match. You might find the perfect shell with less then perfect hardware and then you can swap parts and sell the other drum.

If you keep it then you can play and enjoy them as a complete set.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Keep it and continue your hunt.

This is what I did when I was looking for an even more elusive

kent floor tom. I ended up finding a very rare 15x15 floor tom

and a month later swapped it for one that matched my kit!

So keep it and when another one comes around grab it and sell

the other.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

I strongly agree.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

I have an old slingerland that was originally a silver sparkle 3 piece combo'd with a rogers snare). it was my dad's and i think it probably dates back to the late 50's early 60's. as far as i know, the more those drums were exposed to giging out, bars, smoke, humidity, basements, the more likely they are to turn another color. my set is more of a gold/dull sparkle than the original silver bright sparkle. i suggest keeping it; shows someone had a lot of use with it.

Posted on 17 years ago
Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here