Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Vintage Slingerland Drums

About 10 years ago my parents bought me a drum set for Christmas. I was 10 or 11 and didn't need anything fancy. A lady my mom works with had an old beat up set that her son used when he was little but was no longer used. My parents bought the set for around $150 thinking it was a Ludwig b/c the bass drum had LUDWIG stretched across the skin. I, later, looked at the tags and found it was a Slingerland. At the time I really didn't care. All I wanted was something to learn on. 10 years later I have learned to play the drums and wanted to learn a little about them. I have done some digging and have found people collect them. I was originally going to sell them but now I'm not sure. So I came here, to see what you all think about the drums and what you would do. Over all they're in decent condition for their age, but they are a little beat up from previous owners and neglect. The badges indicate that the were made around '59-'61. Also the strainer looks like like a Clamshell strainer consistent with the era. There is also two stampings in two of the drums. One in a tom and the other in the bass. Both are stamped P-040 but the tom looks to have a date stamped on it. It is slightly blurred but looks like is says OCT 1-196-. I'm not sure of the last digit but if I had to guess it would be '60 or '61. I had someone look at the tom that has the massive cracks in the wrapping and he said it might be a fake someone added b/c of the different looking ring that's on it. I would appreciate it if you would take a look and tell me what you think. If you copy and paste: photobucket.com/yzguy87 you can click on my slingerland drums album and view the pics. I tried to create a link but it didn't come up right.

Thanks,

Yzguy87

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

You've got a nice Slingerland set with an extra non Slingerland tom.

Very nice set...the snare is most likely a solid maple shell.

The only mod is the extra hole(s) on the bass for the newer rail mount and added tom. A few "days of beauty" and some parts and you'd have a real nice vintage set. (It's nice already, it just needs some love.)

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here