Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Vintage Royal Star Kit

While on one of my week-end "hunts" for vintage drums, I pulled over at a local VFW garage sale and noticed a drum kit outside the building that resembled a vintage Ludwig Vistalite Kit. However, it had a price tag of only $50.00 on it, so I knew that it couldn't be.

I took a closer look at the kit and discovered that it was a Royal Star Kit. I inquired what the price of $50.00 included. I was told that it included all the drums (14 x 20 bass, 9 x 13 rack tom, 16 x 16 floor tom, 5 x 14 eight lug snare), a 22 inch A. Zildjian & Cie Constantinople Ride Cymbal, a 16 inch Zildjian Crash Cymbal, a mounted rail consolette on the bass drum, a Slingerland Speed King Bass Drum Pedal, a Hi-Hat stand with a "Pro Pedal" pedal and two 14 inch Zildjian Hi-Hat cymbals, a throne, two cymbal stands (unknown make), a couple pair of sticks and a practice pad. ALL FOR $50.00!

My original intent was to get rid of the kit itself and keep the cymbals. However, after cleaning the shells, I'm starting to appreciate the unique appearance of the kit itself. The lugs are the "bullet" type that Premier used to use in the 60s and those on the rack tom are "offset", like those on a Ludwig Piccolo Downbeat snare.

I'm trying to determine when the kit itself might have been manufactured and what the approximate value of it might be. All the drums have the Royal Star Black Badges with Gold Trim on them.

I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about non-USA made drums so ANY and ALL information that you might be able to provide would be GREATLY appreciated.Keep on Pl

THANKS in advance for your time!

Posted on 17 years ago

I love to find deals like that,congrats!!..Tama made those and i think they are pretty scarce.You see the snares pop up a lot but not the kits....The cymbals are what i,d be focusing onKeep on Pl

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 17 years ago

The star/royal star company was tama's former name. Some of those japanese companies made acrylic drums to appeal to people who were buying the vistalites at the time. Heres a link/URL I don't if it will help it all but here you go, if your thinking of sellin those drums there contact me. The link may not help too much but explore the website its really cool.

http://www.vistalites.com/other/star.htm

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here