Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Vintage Rogers Kit...need info

hey all...i've posted a little intro in the general questions & topics forum...so now i'm hoping i can persuade some of you vintage drum guru's to help me id my old rogers kit!! ;)

it's not the prettiest kit but i've had it for 20 years and it's kicked ass and taken names the whole time! it seems like it's missing pieces and has had some sort of custom mods, but my plan is to slowly fix it up a bit so i can keep it and play it for 20+ more years!!!

i have so many questions, but i'll start with the basics. i'm hoping to id the exact year, missing pieces and value (not because i want to sell it, but because i am just curious).

from the info i've found so far (someone please correct me if i'm wrong)...my kit is a holiday model from fullerton ('70-'75?) in blue onyx pearl. i'm curious about the hardware (pearl tom mounts, lack of lug mounts on rack tom, etc) and sizes (rare or common)? the floor tom is the only piece with a rogers sticker on the inside (the bd & rt dont have stickers). is this a mix & match kit or some sort of custom kit?

bass drum is 24x16

floor tom is 18x16

rack tom is 13x9

(if the measurements seem inaccurate, let me know...maybe i measured them wrong :()

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h162/SilasBancroft/DSC07093.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h162/SilasBancroft/DSC07118.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h162/SilasBancroft/DSC06848.jpg[/IMG]

any and all help is greatly appreciated. i also have more pics if they're needed.

cheers.

Zündfolge Car Club

1969 Rogers Holiday Model
Posted on 15 years ago

Someone is OH SOOO GOING TO HELL over that tom mount on the bass drum.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

From The Ploughman

Someone is OH SOOO GOING TO HELL over that tom mount on the bass drum. 1969.

thanks for the info ploughman.

ftr...the modifications were done by a previous owner. i had nothing to do with it. and unfortunately the rack tom has suffered from the same mod DOH

so...more questions... :)

what distinguishing features make it a 1969? what type of hardware did the bass drum originally come with and i imagine it would have been center mounted? how come there are no provisions present for a bottom hoop on the rack tom? do the sizes sound right?

Zündfolge Car Club

Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah, that mount is a disaster. I love the wrap color. The small tom is a concert tom which was fairly common option for that era. The sizes are definitely "rock" sizes. I can understand why you say the kit kicks ass. Would love to have a wail at it myself.

Posted on 15 years ago

I date them to 1969 due to the badge. Those paper tags are the early fullerton tags used shortly after Rogers Drums USA was moved from Covington Ohio, and the Warehousing facility moved from Dayton Ohio, to Fullerton California by CBS. Secondly, are the floor tom mounts. About 1970 they changed to a cast type. Yours are the machined versions.

If your bolt on bass drum mount is in the same location as the original Rogers mount, then it most likely had the swivomatic double tom post receiver mount on the bass drum. As for the bottom of the rack tom, if you can get someone with a little skill and the right tools, you can fix that.

Posted on 15 years ago

thanks again so much for the info ploughman & drum dad.

Quoted post

If your bolt on bass drum mount is in the same location as the original Rogers mount, then it most likely had the swivomatic double tom post receiver mount on the bass drum. As for the bottom of the rack tom, if you can get someone with a little skill and the right tools, you can fix that.

it seems as though the pearl drum mount was mounted in the same location as the original mounts because there are no other holes or provisions on the drum for mounts. ideally, i would like to eventually convert it back to the center mounted swivomatic double (or single?) tom post. i would have to take that new mount off and see how much bodgery was performed to see if it could be done tho. i know some holes were cut, so i would imagine that it all depends on how the swivomatic mounts to the drum & how it would mask the previous owners "not so handy work"! likewise for the rack tom!

if the rack tom originally came with no bottom hoop, i dont see a reason to modify it & put one on? did concert toms (like this one) usually come with only a top hoop? i'd like to not mess up this set any more than it allready has been. pro's & cons of adding a bottom hoop?

thanks for the info on the floor tom. i'll need to source out a leg/mount because it's missing one!! can anyone recommend where i should look (ebay, on this forum, anywhere else)?

i also seem to remember reading somewhere that an 18" floor tom is a little rare. is this true?

thanks again for all the help & info aswell as your patience in fielding all my questions. i really appreciate it!!

this is a great site!!!!Cool1

Zündfolge Car Club

Posted on 15 years ago

I suggest........... a good stainless steel plate, polished, formed to the curve of the bass drum, and exactly fitting the aftermarket position. I also suggest a second plate below inside the shell that will give adequate playing reinforcement to the shell since the Pearl mount is such an abortion to begin with. then carefully mark the plate on top, and have both plates drilled for the fasteners for the swivo mount, as well as the center hole. The swivo plate alone probably wont cover all that nastiness.

Install the plates, plugging the unneeded holes, and the swivo mount in its right position. It should serve well for many years.

18 inch floor toms began to be much more common in the Fullerton Era. And very common in the Big R time period.

Posted on 15 years ago

From The Ploughman

Someone is OH SOOO GOING TO HELL over that tom mount on the bass drum. 1969.

[COLOR="Purple"]I am still rolling on the floor over this one.....Falling Do[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I have reconditioned two Rogers bass drums with the "Pearl Disease". I can't help wondering if it's better to abandon the bass drum mount altogether.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]C'mon, Trout. That's ALL you are gonna say ? ;)

How did you do it ? Did you patch the holes in both wrap and shell, and reinstall the original swivo mounts, etc ????[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here