Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Vintage resurrection

Slightly o/t but bare with me.Thx to forums like this [this one in particular],all the majors have decided to re juvenate the vintage sound.I wonder why?

They all claim to have "the formula"...timbre matching,this edge,that edge,dipped,coated,sprayed,baked,fried,cross laminate,double cross,etc etc

SO....Who do you believe has made the best attempt to bring back the sound that never should of left in the first place??.........My vote would go to Gretsch,simply because little has changed there...If it aint brokeHmmmm

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

I would vote Ludwig with the Legacy three ply shell.

Posted on 14 years ago

First, define who is in the running. There's Gretsch, Ludwig, Rogers, ... ... ... ummmm ... Leedy, ... ... ... ... is there any more? Slingerland is absent. Kent never returned. Most of the others have been missing for many many many years. I think Fibes might still building some new drums in Austin, but they were never what you would call "old vintage American drums". They had no intention of dredging up the past and focused on modern shells and modern sounds. Don't think you can include them...if they are still around.

There are a couple of NEW companies who are building drums out of shells that resemble the shells of old. To be honest, those shells aren't even close to an aged vintage shell. They are nice, but it's really comparing apples to weasels. I played the "vintage" and "jazz" DW shells. They were nice, but they were NOT the old school sound. I've also played the Pearl African Mahogany kit. While it was an amazing kit, it was NOT a vintage sound.

Call me crazy, but I've never considered the Gretsch drums above 3 plies to have a vintage sound. The same goes for Rogers. Fact is, Rogers can be credited for pioneering the modern drum sound of today. So, it's kind of hard to include those drums in this competition unless you redefine what the vintage sound is all about. That may be the key to all of this: What is the vintage sound? It may be different from person to person.

So, the competition is somewhat limited. I have only really considered the originators of the sound to be in competition. That would be Ludwig, Leedy, Rogers, Fibes, and Gretsch. Of those, I like the Ludwig best. They have really hit on "that" sound.

Posted on 14 years ago

What is more amazing is that some company has not just flat out started building the vintage drums, using the same formula as Rogers 3 ply re rings the sound is the very essence of vintage and i agree Ludwig is the closest although they are still sometimes willy nilly with shell plys..

Posted on 14 years ago

AMEN!!! I've asked that same question time and time again. Why get just close to the original formula? Why not just duplicate it spot on? I realize the old growth wood and the aging process has played a part, but it would seem to me that the more variables you can remove, the better the sound will be. Just my take on it. DW has tried in vain to duplicate the sound. They get the shell material close and then do some strange mumbojumbo thing with the plies and the glue and the wrap and then slap on that freekin' hardware stripped off of a tank and call it 'vintage'. To top it off, the mounts they use are massive for these drums... comparatively speaking. I just don't get it. It's not rocket science. If you want vintage...identify the variables and build the drums. That's all there is to it. I remember when Slingerland came out with those Buddy and Gene kits. I laughed. Why would anyone in their right mind play one of those kits? They aren't vintage shells. They aren't equipped with vintage hardware. Even the wrap is the modern small chip. What the heck were they thinking?

Posted on 14 years ago

I am most definately referring to any of the bigs out there...DW,Pearl,Tama,Keller,anyone who attempts by using the word "vintage sound" in thier advertising,to make us think the good ol days are back....They use the term loosely,to market something for the younger generation of player who can only ask us what that vintage sound really is.....and we tell them,its like this.....A long time ago..............:2Cents:

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

If that's the case...then I vote for none of the above. There is not a shell maker today (other than Ludwig) who is making a great 3 ply vintage shell. Even Ludwig's has some issues.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here