Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Vintage "anti-keyhole" Thinking?

As I was attempting to organize some of my vintage "drum stuff" earlier today I noticed two Zildjian Hi-Hat cymbals that I purchased some time ago with a late 50s-early 60s Rogers Kit.

When I removed the cymbals from the Rogers Hi-Hat Stand they were mounted on I noticed that both had a thick metal washer around the circumference of the hole in the respective cymbals. I had never seen anything like this before and my only guess is that someone was thinking that this might be an effective way of preventing "key-holing".

Anyone know if this was a common practice back then or whether this might have actually been done at the Zildjian factory?

I've included a pic for your "viewing pleasure."

THANKS in advance for your help!D' Drummer

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Usually, I only see this on orchestral cymbals. They're there to prevent the cymbals from "chewing through" the straps. I doubt that they are crash cymbals, due to their size...

I usually put a bit of rubber tubing around my high hat clutch to prevent the threads from biting the cymbal. It also allows them to move a little "springier" and makes them cushy to play.

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I agree...if they appear to be as old as the cymbals, and not later add-ons, the pair was likely a set of hand cymbals. It's usually a dead giveaway.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here