Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Vintage Premier with cracked shell! and mold!

I had these drums stored in Europe and finally brought them home. Well, the bass drum is cracked! And the wrap cracked too. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I really like the old wrap and want it to match. But that's probably a lost cause.

Also, there is some black stuff in the bass drum and I think it might be mold. Is there a good way to clean this? I worried if I start to wipe it with water it will get in the wood permanently.

It's a cool old set with some neat details. I love the cymbal mount and these old premiers sound great. The bass drum legs have little wood tips that screw on. I think these must be early 60s or late 50s.

2 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

some more pics...

4 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

It doesn't look too bad - very repairable. I'd glue down the wrap damage rather than re wrap the bass drum. It wouldn't be very noticeable on a dense and busy wrap like black diamond. As for the black mold, I'm not sure - you need to kill the mold spores and use something that won't affect the wood. Bleach kills mold spores but it might also change the color of the wood. Maybe wait to some more people chime in.

Posted on 11 years ago

Rubber gloves and a good face mask are in order. There are several mold killers available on the market, how the chems interact with the wood is something you'll have to do a little research on.

Do not sand off the mold! Work outdoors if using mold-killing chems. You do not want to breath that stuff.

Easy repair/glue-up to save the wrap. Perfectly savable drum.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Peroxide should kill the mold too. Those are some nice old tubs. Strange how it cracked inside. Almost like it was stepped in or something stored inside somehow busted through it. Strange but should be a pretty easy fix.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IpZoKQhlqg[/ame]

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

here's another pic of the crack. it kind of bumps out on top. i guess i will try and hammer it back down (with a rubber mallet). that sound like a bad idea?

what type of glue would you recommend for the wrap?

i will try to clean it out tonight.

and let me know if anyone knows of a source for the pre-international size heads...

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Forget the rubber mallet idea.. You will need to fold back the wrap in order to repair the shell.. I would remove the adjacent Lug and cut the wrap straight in line with the lug screws from edge to edge. Repair the shell with wood glue and clamps and then fill and sand as necessary. Test the piece of wrap for pliancy use hot water or a hair drier.. you may be able to flatten the humps.

Reglue it with a Clear contact adhesive..

Good luck with it.

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

From dukeofearl

here's another pic of the crack. it kind of bumps out on top. i guess i will try and hammer it back down (with a rubber mallet). that sound like a bad idea?what type of glue would you recommend for the wrap?i will try to clean it out tonight. and let me know if anyone knows of a source for the pre-international size heads...

Check with your local Remo head dealer. They can order the heads from their Remo distributor, who should have stock on the 12, 16 and 20 equivalents, for English pre-international heads. The model #'s are the same as the standard ones but have PR added to designate that they are the Premier sizes.

Posted on 11 years ago

If you don't want to repair,I have a BDP 24 inch bass for sale, 50s era

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here