Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Vintage Premier Drum Set

I bought this set used in 1989. Can anyone help with the ID and possible year of manufacture? It is a 7 piece Premier with the normal 5 piece tom set up but 2 concert toms also. It is in the aqua-marine shimmer finish and has a series 2000 snare. I have not been able to find any pics of a similar set. I am guessing that this is a mid 80's set.

Any insight into its worth would be greatly appreciated. I am missing the bottom heads and hardware for the bass mounted and floor toms. Also missing the fwd claws and tension rods for the bass. Other than that, it is in pretty good shape. The badge simply says, Premier - made in England. Inside the shells is stamped with, "International Size". They are 3 ply shells with the reinforcement rings. The tension rods are slotted and the lugs are single screw attachments.

Thanks. - John

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Pictures speak a thousand words....

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

...actually, they only speak 926 words. It was recalculated as of September 2 of this year and is just now being released. It's page 14 of the new Science Journal.

Posted on 14 years ago

Wow. and I thought I was a geek....;)

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice finish! I think the set is way older. Though Premier used one-piece nut boxes into the 90's, look at the concert tom fittings. Usually the floors had the pointed style and the toms the one piece, certainly on many 60's sets. Those nut boxes on the concerts look like 60's era. Also, the tom mount is the old style, last used around mid 70's - certainly on Olympics (same guys). it's quite a rare finish, and rarer still that the previous owner managed to find concert toms from a different kit to match. It doesn't look catalogue and I've never seen it before. Could be a re-wrap? Certainly, a lot of kits had 'projector' or 'Royale' badges under the P logo one, certainly in the 80's. That's a small kick too - an 18? I know there were a few projectors with a really small kick like that, but they are quite rare. If it's a 20 - more common.

As to value, that's really down to an exact age, and is subjective, but a birch set of Premiers is always worth something. Over here in the UK, I'd not be surprised to see it on Ebay for £350, possibly more, as finishes add to collectibility IF they are original. You'd need the missing parts to ensure more value, however.

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 14 years ago

The Premier catalog pictured on this site shows a 68'set in Blue Shimmer-same mount(2 pipes),but no concert toms.Maybe a later addition or custom order?I love those skinny cast rims and the chrome is the BEST by far-

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks much for the info. Is there a good way to tell if the set is a re-wrap? I think that I will maybe hold onto it for now and start cleaning it up and looking for the missing hardware. Any ideas on getting a closer dating? Thanks again.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think from what teversion says, which is pretty much a positive ID on the wrap, and judging off the hardware which dates it, that it's not a re-wrap. Because it's international size, it's most probably a very late (68-69) early 70's set. Basically you've probably got hold of a quality set of 40-year old premiers. Like you say - keep hold and restore !

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 14 years ago

Premier stopped using that badge in early 80's, but i guess this is a seventies set. Everyone copied ludwigs octaplus idea (hal blaines invention) in the 70's.

Posted on 14 years ago

I know premier sets from I think early 70's had mahogany shells like the kick in your pictures,the toms look like birch ,sometimes you can tell the age from the tom mount. I would say they were late 60's to 1971.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here