Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Vintage Pearl Super Deluxe Outfit restoration

Hey all, I just bought what I believe to be a 1968 Pearl “Super Deluxe Outfit”, in “sparkling blue pearl” wrap. It’s a little rough, no snare, the bass drum is missing one lug on the resonant side, one original hoop, as well as the Pearl stencil badge. It’s also missing the original “stick saver” hoop on the resonant side of the 13” Tom. Worst of all, someone at one point decided to paint them white. Whoever cleaned the paint off didn’t do a thorough job leaving the wrap with some small paint smudges here and there. I’ve tried motsenbocker’s graffiti remover on the bottom of the bass drum and it caused some discoloration. Acetone seems to be the only effective method for getting the paint off but leaves the wrap looking a bit unfinished. I went to revival drum shop here in Portland the other day where one of the guys there suggest I use small amounts of acetone to remove the white, then buff to shine with some car wax. Would anyone be willing to shed some light on there experiences with something like this? I would rewrap the kit but honestly I love the turquoise blue color and haven’t been able to find anything online that looks even close.

Posted on 6 years ago

Hello drumsinthedesert...and Welcome to the forum!

A very nice set of vintage Pearl drums! I had a similar kit, but with a 20" bass drum and a matching snare. I can't offer any help about removing that white paint, as I've never had this issue. I'm sure others on this forum can help out, though.

I think you are correct about leaving the wrap the way it is. Best of luck to you!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

I've worked with paint stripper and had good results. Use very small amounts and instantly wipe off. Should hit the paint but leave the wrap undamaged. Unless you leave it on long enough to eat the wrap.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 6 years ago

I had similar results w/Mostenbachers.It left the surface with a flattish sheen. But it's better than flat black paint put on with a brush.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on here on the best way to remove the paint. Acetone and patience did the trick. Thought I’d share the completed project. Finished the kit with a vintage Acrolite and Rogers swivomatic cymbal arm. Finish looks a bit more dull than before but all in all very satisfied at the way it turned out. I kept the original pearl head but for recordings sake threw a coated ambassador on the reso

Posted on 6 years ago

Very cool.

Definitely worth the fix up. I always HATE hearing the horror stories of some previous owner painting over a beautiful finish...ugh. So many of those vintage finishes are rare. I'm sure it sounds warm, round and phat. I have a snare from that era, different finish though. Great drums.

Enjoy!

Cheers

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Great job on the restoration! Enjoy your vintage MIJ kit!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for the information on the site. gmail sign up account

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here