Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Vintage Paiste 404 Hi Hats 630gm/700gm

Just got hold of these from the 70's. Not a bad sound open, shut bit tinny but for the price not bad. I think they are 1974, maybe someone could give me some info.

5 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

You have a set of black label 404's which were manufactured in 1974, and the brown labels from'78-86.. I have a set of brown labels from 1983, that are in mint condition, like "new old stock", and bought them off some kid who sold them to me for $30 Cdn. dollars ! I also had a rare set of black label 404 15" hi hats, which i sold like an imbecile..They are worth a lot more than that, at least to me and many other 404 fans..These cymbals are gaining momentum as collector's cymbals and are getting few and far between..

Made from 2002 bronze, they had a pretty versatile line.. It is believed that Paiste discontinued them because sales of the 2002's were dwindling and many drummers preferred them over the 2002's because of this very reason, as well as sounding great... In other words they were out-selling the 2002's.. Because of the mixed demand for these cymbals and their incredible thinness, if you decide to sell them you probably won't get more than $70 for them, and i think that's sad..If i were you , i wouldn't sell them.. I'd keep them for recording and low volume gigs, which is what i use mine for.. Very articulate and precise cymbals, super dark and trashy, a great sound that would even give the insanely expensive Signature Dark Energy's a run for their money, in my humble opinion.. Chicago drum exchange had a few cymbals that were new old stock direct from Paiste's factory and went over the hundred dollar range..

They are getting rare so don't get rid of them if you don't have to.. Enjoy them ;)

Posted on 9 years ago

What Human71 said! PS: I love mine!!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 9 years ago

From funkypoodle

What Human71 said! PS: I love mine!!

Thanks guys for putting me straight the info is much appreciated. Even though the black labelling has worn over the years does that not affect the value. Would it be worth having them carefully drawn over in indelible pen.......Thanks sean....

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here