Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Vintage ORCHESTRAL drums?

Does anyone have any clues about vintage orchestral gear -like tympani and suspended bass drums....chimes...other things particuar to an orchestral application?

I just thought it might make an interesting discussion. Most of us "old guys" probably played in school bands back in the day (I did, anyway...my folks made me!). In my band room, we had a storage room where all the old stuff was and there were all kinds of cool things....old K. Zildjians, for ONE thing! Yeah, yeah...I WISH I knew then what I know now....but I digress...

I remember the year we got a new set of tympani. I used to stand on two of the pedals and do the "stair-stepper" move...booooOOOiiinnng...boooOOOOinng...until I would get reprimanded for goofing off!

What can you tell me about vintage orchestral drums? Anything?Mister T

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

I remember in Jr High, during band practice, whacking a kids knuckles as he was playing concert bass drum.

He screamed during the rehearsal and was reprimanded by the teacher.

The rest of the section could not stop laughing. Everyone hated the kid. It turnes out we are still friends.

Other then that I played more percussion in college since I was in a percussion ensemble. Ended up 1st Marimba, so I played a lot of mallets.

The Slingerland tympani worked that way and they had the worst pedals to tune tympani.

I also had a teacher that took me through each percussion instrument from the triangle, slap stick, cow bell, wood block, and every small traps item to all of the bigger instruments on how to hold them and play them correctly in that setting..

Also how important it was to set everything up a certain way and to have everything easy to play and get to.. More then one time someone would put a tambourine on a chair and it would fall on the floor..

In fact, I have sketches of a system that would attach to a black music stand that would hold sticks, mallets and triangle beaters. It was going to be made of plastic and clip on to the edge of the stand.

Each instrument was unique and I have seen whole solos just for the tambourine! Very cool instrument in itself..

So, not much to offer to the discussion, but a reflection on my percussion days..

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here