Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Vintage Olympic Drum by Premier

Hello vintage drum friends. Thank you for accepting me in the group, and thank you in advance for any replies. A student of mine brought in this old orange sparkle Olympic snare by Premier. I loved it.

It appears to be a single ply, like Slingerland’s Radio King? Is it maple? I figured somewhere in the 1960s with its oval badge. Any guesses? I’m quite curious on the wood used. Thanks for any replies. p.s. what is your guess on a price range for the value of this snare drum?

Posted on 5 years ago

Really can`t see enough of it to gage condition. Condition is directly related to pricing.

6 lug, 8 lug, or 10 ??

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

It's an 8 lug instrument. Yes, I'm just curious if these were single ply, steam bent which it certain appeared to be. There were no plies at all. And I think that's maple. Any guesses on the wood? I'm hoping to hear from someone who's knowledgeable about old Premier stuff. I quite agree with your advice though, the best plan is to hit it! Thank you.

Posted on 5 years ago

From Christopher

It's an 8 lug instrument. Yes, I'm just curious if these were single ply, steam bent which it certain appeared to be. There were no plies at all. And I think that's maple. Any guesses on the wood? I'm hoping to hear from someone who's knowledgeable about old Premier stuff. I quite agree with your advice though, the best plan is to hit it! Thank you.

The straight seam in the first pic is a good indication of yes, it is a solid shell. The second pic is too blurry to confirm it.

The badge puts it in the 60`s 70`s era too. Leedy was selling Dallas the quick throw so it`s possible shells from the states were too. At this time Premier was an assembly plant and did not have a foundry or wood mill. Around 74, 75`ish... Premier purchased all the British drum factory`s including Dallas. Better pics would say more.

Posted on 5 years ago

From Christopher

3 Ply Finnish Birch with Beech re-rings

Posted on 5 years ago

From dukekamaya

3 Ply Finnish Birch with Beech re-rings

What dukekamaya said!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 5 years ago

Yes definitely 3 ply birch shell beech re rings. nice looking drum could do with more pics.

Posted on 5 years ago

Yes, 3-ply birch with beech rings. Here's a picture of my Olympic, wrapped in original Red Silk.

-Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

[QUOTE=OddBall;440937]The straight seam in the first pic is a good indication of yes, it is a solid shell.

Huh......?

Posted on 5 years ago

From slingerfan

[QUOTE=OddBall;440937]The straight seam in the first pic is a good indication of yes, it is a solid shell. Huh......?

When you join a solid piece, you use biscuits or tongue and groove. that seam in the first pic looks to be thick, unlike a ply. But it`s blurry and too far.

I see no plies. I`m also aware of the use of Birch and Beechwood too. That wood is too light to be maple.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here