Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Vintage MIJ Snare Drum ID Help!

Hello VDF members! As many of you may know, I have a nice MIJ snare drum collection. I like to collect those drums that have cool wraps, hardware, or both!

I recently received this MIJ snare drum, wrapped in Black Diamond Pearl and has a unique strainer throw off. I'm a bit stumped as to the manufacturer! There is no label and I've never seen this style of shell before!

While the lugs appear to be Pearl or Star, what is odd is the mounting hole spacing, which is 2-3/16", the same as Ludwig! The majority of MIJ lug spacing from the major builders always seem to be either 2" or 2-1/4".

Your thoughts on this unique snare drum are greatly appreciated!

The posted pictures are of the "as received" condition. It has already been completely disassembled for cleaning and detailing!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Some more pictures!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Very neat drum Mark!

Posted on 5 years ago

From mlayton

Very neat drum Mark!

Thanks! This one is a mystery to me, so I'm hoping someone in VDF Land might have a clue as to who manufactured it!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

This one has me stumped. Wrap, lugs and hoops are all vintage MIJ Slingerland style (like my Stewart's)...but the shell (wood), re-rings and throw off are...well, throwing me off haha.

Mark, have you posted these pics on any of the vintage MIJ Facebook groups? If you like, I could screen capture some of these, and post them on the one I belong to. There's some very knowledgeable folks there.

Cheers.

Posted on 5 years ago

From Trilok_Gurtu

This one has me stumped. Wrap, lugs and hoops are all vintage MIJ Slingerland style (like my Stewart's)...but the shell (wood), re-rings and throw off are...well, throwing me off haha. Mark, have you posted these pics on any of the vintage MIJ Facebook groups? If you like, I could screen capture some of these, and post them on the one I belong to. There's some very knowledgeable folks there. Cheers.

Yes, by all means, feel free to capture the pictures and post them on Facebook. I don't do Facebook, so your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Very cool snare - that throw is an engineering wonder :) Great looking wrap as well - nice score!

thejohnlec
Ohio Valley
Posted on 5 years ago

From thejohnlec

Very cool snare - that throw is an engineering wonder :) Great looking wrap as well - nice score!

Thanks! That "engineering wonder" is the reason I got the drum! Now, if I could just figure out who made it!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

From idrum4fun

Hello VDF members! As many of you may know, I have a nice MIJ snare drum collection. I like to collect those drums that have cool wraps, hardware, or both! I recently received this MIJ snare drum, wrapped in Black Diamond Pearl and has a unique strainer throw off. I'm a bit stumped as to the manufacturer! There is no label and I've never seen this style of shell before! While the lugs appear to be Pearl or Star, what is odd is the mounting hole spacing, which is 2-3/16", the same as Ludwig! The majority of MIJ lug spacing from the major builders always seem to be either 2" or 2-1/4".Your thoughts on this unique snare drum are greatly appreciated!The posted pictures are of the "as received" condition. It has already been completely disassembled for cleaning and detailing!-Mark

Mark,

What you have is a drum made by pearl mid-60s.

This drums shell is a Copy of a 1940s Slingerland Radio king shells the fat o rings.

Pearl made these shells from about 1964 to 67 they made snares toms and bass drums.

Pearl sold these drum under about 25 or so names.

If I recall right ones with out badges were made for music stores Sears, Blue stamps catalogs.

Oh the strainer if I recall right was made from 64 to mid 65 these were very poor made strainers.

mikey777

Posted on 5 years ago

From MIKEY777

Mark,What you have is a drum made by pearl mid-60s.This drums shell is a Copy of a 1940s Slingerland Radio king shells the fat o rings.Pearl made these shells from about 1964 to 67 they made snares toms and bass drums.Pearl sold these drum under about 25 or so names.If I recall right ones with out badges were made for music stores Sears, Blue stamps catalogs.Oh the strainer if I recall right was made from 64 to mid 65 these were very poor made strainers.mikey777

Hi Mikey!!!

Thanks for the information on my snare drum! Honestly, I really didn't think it would have been made by Pearl. Even though the lugs resemble what Pearl was making, they still seemed just a bit different, especially the mounting distance of 2-3/16".

And, yes, it's definitely not the best strainer...just very different from your "average" MIJ strainer.

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here