Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Vintage marching drum gurus expertise needed

Well....I've decided to get the Leedy & Ludwig marching snare ready for marching use again. I've ordered a Ludwig sling, the appropriate hook clip for under the tension rod, as the original is missing, and am considering a rod mounted leg rest. My question is, How exactly does this said leg rest work in practice and is there supposed to be a pad over it? It seems that on a long parade route that the bare metal would get uncomfortable after a while.

As far as head choice, I've gone for an oldschool sound, but with modern heads. Remo Renaissance snare side with a Fiberskyn 3 for the batter. The drum is NOT going to be cranked to the max like modern marhing snares so I would think these would be fine for that simulated calf sound. If I'm not totally happy with the sound after I try this combo, I'm just going to bite the bullet and order up some real calf heads from Stern or Rebeats.

Most of my drum experience over the years has been traditional drumkit, not marching. I did the usual stand up concert stuff when I was learning my rudiments back in school, but never went for the marching band....quit lessons by then and went on my own as they weren't showing me how to play a kit like I wanted....LOL! So, marching is a different world to me....a world of the unfamiliar and unknown. Cooked EggHurting

Posted on 14 years ago

The one I had didn't have a pad. It just rested on your left thigh. I've seen ones that tie on your left leg so they don't bounce. The idea is that it stays against your left leg when you're marching. Adding some sort of pad isn't a bad idea.

You pretty much need to play traditional grip or you'll develop carpal tunnel syndrome pretty quick... traditional grip came from the whole "drum moves with left leg" thing. If the drum was flat your knees would hit it, and that's where the whole "dive bomber" snare thing started. I still do that and my snare is quite slanted so that my left leg can actually go underneath it, which makes for a very comfortable sitting situation.

I wonder if they even let guys play left handed in marching bands way back when... it wouldn't match the rest of the guys in formation.

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm pretty sure back then they beat the left-handedness out of you with a ruler.....LOL! Everyone had to play right handed traditional grip from what I understand.....

Posted on 14 years ago

They didn't have a "don't ask don't tell" policy?

Posted on 14 years ago

Ummm....I don't think that was even a consideration amongst the "penguins".....LOL!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here