Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Vintage Mahogany Shells

I recently picked up an early 70s Slingerland Mahogany kit. I'll be removing, cleaning and polishing the hardware as well as the exterior shells in the very near future.

I'm trying to find out whether any of you know of ANY reason not to use a product such as Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment on the exterior shells.

As usual, all information, comments, suggestions and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS in advance for your help!

Posted on 15 years ago

I would imagine that those shells would be coated in something like Dupont automotive lacquer and I can't imagine any kind of cleaner like you're talking about would do anything to the lacquer. When Henry Ford went to it the industry changed because it dried in minutes not weeks and everyone followed.

You could remove a lug and test a spot where it wouldn't show.

I don't know Formby's but I would use Pledge because I'm familiar with it. You can't really affect lacquer until you go to pretty nasty stuff like acetone but I'd test a spot to be safe.

I imagine they're killer drums.

Posted on 15 years ago

MastroSnare: Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. In regard to your "killer drums" comment, the kit I just purchased is similar, if not identical, to MCJNIC's Slingerland 80N Buddy Rich Kit that he's posted pics of in the "Is This A Good Deal --How Much Is It Worth" section of this site.

The kit I got, however, didn't come with the cymbals and stands -- just the drums themselves. Hopefully, when I get them all cleaned up, they'll look as nice as MCJNIC's kit! Now, those ARE killer drums IMHO!Walking

Posted on 15 years ago

Oh man! Are you serious??? You got one of these kits? They sound amazing! I am so incredibly happy for you. Did you get a snare? Did they do the snare bed at the factory? Do you have both pair of the spurs? Are they the real thin type? Did I drink too much coffee tonight???

Sorry 'bout that. I'm just really excited to speak with you about the kit. It's so cool that you got this one. It's like two football players having kids on the same weekend. Just too cool.

I use a furniture grade cleaner and polish on the drums. It works just fine. Had I realized the shells you were speaking of, I would have jumped on in.

Spill, man, Spill. Give us the lowdown on the acquisition and such.

I can't wait to see some pics of the new bundle of joy.

P.S. the wife does not want me to part with the Buddy kit. She likes that one. She also likes the Standard kit that she bought me. So, I will be looking at the little jazzer (or the gold one) as a potential sale. No word yet on that, but that's where it's leaning. None of it matters to me. I just play 'em. I leave these things up to her. I'm not attached to any of this and it would put a smile on her face. I will say that I'm pleased she wants me to hold on to the Standard kit. I really like that one. Neato wrap.

Posted on 15 years ago

mcjnic: Try to curb your enthusiasm, please (LOL)! Based on your questions, I realize that the kit I purchased is NOT (:mad:) the identical one you've got. The bass drum in my kit does NOT (:mad:) have the double spurs. It did come with the snare drum, however. I've posted a few pics for you to see. I haven't had the time to clean and polish the rest of the kit as of yet, but look forward to doing so. If, after I'm done "cleaning 'er up", it even remotely resembles your kit I'll be thrilled.

Posted on 15 years ago

...nice...very nice. That's the same finish. That kit will sound amazing. The shells should be relatively thin and very very nice. Oh man. I am so happy for you. That snare is in GREAT shape. Clapping Happy2

Posted on 15 years ago

THANKS for the kind words! I found the kit on craigslist at what I consider to be an extremely reasonable price. A gentleman from Atlanta, Georgia was the prior owner. The looks of the snare drum alone sold me on it! The prior owner threw in his original cases with it as part of the transaction. I can't wait to get the entire kit up and running!

Posted on 15 years ago

Nice drum, Gary!

I hope the whole set cleans up this well!

Where did you find it? (Sorry - you just came through with the story while I was posting this)

Posted on 15 years ago

Beautiful snare, OldSchool!! Looking forward to the rest.

Congrats!!

Clapping Happy2

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

69OysterBlue & kevins: Really nice to hear from you guys! Thanks for the kind words. I just finished up the floor tom and attached a few pics. I didn't get to the legs as of yet and I'm still waiting for the muffler to arrive so that I can install it. Two down and two to go! Today, the bass drum's on the "to do" list. "Talk" to you guys soon!

mcjnic: BTW............... The wife's not too happy with you right now after I explained to her how, after viewing your kit, I "just had to have one."LoLoLoLo

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here