Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Vintage Ludwig Snare - information?

Hi! I was wondering if someone might be able to identify a year for my Ludwig Snare. I picked it up about 30 years ago and until I ran across your forum, I'd forgotten that I had it sitting in my closet. It's mahogany, 5" x 14" and has 10 tension rods. Does anyone have an idea of what the model and value might be?

3 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Might be The Professional Model from 1927, pg. 252, the Ludwig Book.

Nice drum.

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for information GAR. Unfortunately, I don't have the Ludwig book. I figured it was newer than the Snares in the 1923 catalog, but wasn't sure how much newer. Any idea on what this would be worth today?

Posted on 16 years ago

from the 1927 Ludwig & Ludwig catalog...

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Gutenberg,

Thanks for posting the page from the catalog. I guess that makes it official. A 1927 Professional Model in Mahogany. Way cool! Clapping Happy2

Posted on 16 years ago

mercse:

I just sent you a PM.

Thanks.

Posted on 16 years ago

Value really depends on the exact condition.. The pictures look pretty good, but until you take it apart and see if there is anything going on we really do not know...

I would say value is between $600 and $1200

Mike Curotto can give a better value since he deals in these drums more then the rest of us.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks, David. Much appreciated. :)

Posted on 16 years ago

From Webmaster

Value really depends on the exact condition.. The pictures look pretty good, but until you take it apart and see if there is anything going on we really do not know... I would say value is between $600 and $1200 Mike Curotto can give a better value since he deals in these drums more then the rest of us. David

I concur...providing that there are no extra holes and unoriginal parts...the badge is right of the strainer...most of those have the badge 1 or 2 panels left of the strainer...nice drum.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for all of the information guys. I really appreciate it.

The snare really is in great shape. No extra holes, all original parts. The tension rods are a little rusty, but I take it that's normal in something this old. I'm going to replace them with newer chromed rods to spruce it up (will keep the old ones, and the original calf skins so I can revert to original at any time).

I've had it apart and it's clean inside, with only a few of the internal lug screws showing rust. The drum is a single ply of mahogany and the inner support hoops look to be maple. Everything is still tightly glued with nothing pulling away....and it's still round.

I just put a new set of skins on it and have been playing it. It sounds amazing. I'll take some pictures when I replace the rods and post them for everyone to see. Looks like I really did have a treasure sitting in my closet. :)

Martin Ercse

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here