Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

vintage ludwig floor tom

Hey everyone! I just so happened to find this site when I was gather information on my Ludwig, so I thought that id share it with you guys.

So heres the scoop: I traded an Ibanez 6 string bass for a 5 piece drumset. The kit consists of a Revelle Kickdrum, two identical( why have two toms with the same dimensions?) Singerland toms, a Ludwig floor tom, and a steel snare. The drums seemed old and sounded pretty muddy, so I went out to buy some heads . After removing the rims i realized the drums had been re-wrapped and instantly I became curious to see the original finish. I removed the wrap from one of the Singerland toms to find that the wrap had been glued onto the original paint and had eaten it down to the wood, but I could imagine how nice the paint must have been before the wrapping; think Fender vintage white. Once i removed the hoops from the floor tom I realized that it didnt have a paint finish under the wrap, but it had the original (vinyl?) wrap. Upon further inspection I found a stamp dated Apr 1, 1965. After removing the aftermarket wrap, this is what i found:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/pandafeind/ludwig%20tom/PICT0011.jpg[/IMG]

To the point of this post: What can you guys tell me about this drum? What kind of sale value am i looking at here? Is this drum particularly rare or desireable? ANY info would be appreciated!

Posted on 17 years ago

Is this a 16" floor tom, hard to tell with the angle of the drum?

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Yeah, this is a 16"er. I have more pictures if you'd like to see them.

Posted on 17 years ago

Nice drum! Not particularly "rare", but very collectible and extremely playable. It is built with Ludwig's "3-ply" shells which are no longer made -by ANYONE! Blue sparkle is one of the most common sparkle finishes...probably worth 200-400 depending on how complete it is and what the condition is overall.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

Nice drum! Not particularly "rare", but very collectible and extremely playable. It is built with Ludwig's "3-ply" shells which are no longer made -by ANYONE! Blue sparkle is one of the most common sparkle finishes...probably worth 200-400 depending on how complete it is and what the condition is overall.

Thanks for the info! I just put new heads on this bad boy and now its really punchy! It seems to be in very good contion; the hardware has very light pitting and the hoops have very little rust. The muffle bat also seems to be in good condition as if it was barely used.

here are more pictures: [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/pandafeind/ludwig%20tom/PICT0016.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/pandafeind/ludwig%20tom/PICT0012.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 17 years ago

I'm not sure that the legs are original. It looks like you have a few pretty good nicks in the bearing edge...but I probably wouldn't worry about them since most vintage bearing edges are less than perfect anyway. What kind of shape are the rims in?

BTW....That particular 3-ply layup seems to be the mahogany/poplar/mahogany with solid maple reinforcement rings. Sometimes, the layup was mahogany/poplar/maple and sometimes it was maple/poplar/mahogany and sometimes it was maple/poplar/maple -all these combinations had the poplar core wood and all had the solid maple reinforcement rings.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the info. The hoops have very little rust and are dusty, but other then that theyre in good shape.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here