Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Vintage ludwig bass drum hoops restoration

Hey guys.. Just have a question regarding restoring some bass drum hoops from my recently acquired blue sparkle Ludwig new yorker..

I was thinking of restoring them to their former glory.. I have restored hoops before by stripping the lacquer and paint or stain then coating them with black wood stain and relacquering them with a satin lacquer, to give it more of an authentic painted look without having to worry about the paint chipping quickly, as is usually the case with vintage Ludwig painted hoops.. Has anyone ever tried this on a vintage Ludwig or have any tips on how to go about it ?.

It's not my first restoration job, but it is my first on a vintage Ludwig..

My first thought was just to stain over the scuffed spots and the rest of the hoops and then lacquer, but i'm afraid the hoops will have darker spots than others.. I also thought of leaving them the way they are to give it that trendy, weathered, shabby chic look.. I guess i'll make a decision based on people's thoughts..

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated..

cheers !

Posted on 9 years ago

I always lean toward leaving them with all the little chips and other signs of age but really it depends on the condition/appearance of the rest of the kit - if it's pristine then the shabby chic hoops will look out of place.

That's my take! :)

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

Why would Ludwig hoops be any different than any other hoops you've restored before? Good idea on the black wood stain and lacquer...never thought of that before.

- EMD
Posted on 9 years ago

EMD, i was referring to paint, type of wood, etc.. Ludwig always seems to make their drums different from everybody else..I was simply asking in a "just in case" scenario.. ;)

Posted on 9 years ago

Just thought I'd pop in and say I also think the black wood stain & lacquer is a good idea. I have some wood BD hoops which are red right now; they will soon be either natural or black and if black I will definitely go this route.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here