Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Vintage Leedy kit... special order?

I recently came across a 40's Leedy kit I couldn't pass up for the money. It's complete, but the covering is a little rough on the kick, and someone installed a heater in the snare, as is pretty common on those old snares with the calfskin. Anyhow, I'm trying to decide whether to recover it or not. The snare has some decent splits inthe covering, around 3" long at most. The kick is a little worse, with some splitting and lifting around the drum. The two toms are in great shape, but here comes the odd thing....

The toms are tunable on top, tacked heads on bottom, but with 40s "blue" Elkhart badges and beavertail lugs. The kick has clip-on spurs with beavertail lugs, and the snare is a third generation Broadway. The snare is stamped "4601" on the inside, and the shells are ply, not solid. Everything but the tacked heads point to a 40's kit, but I thought Leedy stopped making them that way in the 30s..?.. Was the kit a special order for an old-school drummer, or something from the point when they changed over to double headed tunable toms? Endorser? Any ideas?

Since the covering is already a little beat, I'm thinking of restoring them with some new White Marine Pearl, but if the kit is something from some special order, should I try to keep the covering on the toms, and not worry about matching? I'm not that farmiliar with Leedy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS\: Still looking for a bloody Frank Wolf Lug...

Thanks.

[email]cmattoon@student.umass.edu[/email]

~Chris

Posted on 18 years ago

They were available, I was looking at the 42 catalog and the tacked bottom head drums were still pictured. 44 catalog also.

I think you are in the position to make the re-wrap!

The topic of WMP was brought up on drumforum.org and discussed in detail as to the best WMP for restoration.

That Frank Wolf lug!!! I know you have been searching for a long time. I remember bidding on a Frank Wolf on Ebay about 6 years ago. It was a two to one snare. I think it went for around $300. Now that the name is out there more it would go for a lot more in todays market. I should have bid more! Send me a pic of your drum and I will feature it on the site! Preferably the side not missing the lug!

David

Posted on 18 years ago

It would also be great to see the actual lug you need. Wait, did you need the one lug to try and duplicate it or do you have a drum missing one lug.

My memory is going

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here