Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Vintage Leedy Duco Kit -- To Paint Or Not To Paint

Some time ago I purchased a Vintage Leedy Kit from the early 40s in a black and gold duco finish. I've always liked the looks of the old duco kits and this one came with all original hardware, calfskin heads, original clamp-on cymbal mounts, bass drum pedal, hi-hat and cymbals. It also had a Chinese Tom.

Although the duco-painted wooden shells are in pretty decent shape for a kit of this vintage, the bass drum does show significant paint chipping in several areas. I've been informed that there are several drum companies, including the Jack Lawton Drum Company, that actually re-paint duco-finishes.

Here's my dilemna: Would it be a wise decision to have the shells re-painted in the original duco-colors or would it be a smarter choice to leave the shells "as is", with their share of paint chips and scratches?

Obviously, I wouldn't even consider painting a vintage virgin wooden shell, but since these shells came from the factory with the duco-paint, I would imagine that it's a totally different story.

Any "words of wisdom" regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS TO ALL for your time and consideration!Keep on Pl

Posted on 17 years ago

It depends on what you want.

Having a shell repainted would bring the value down.

But having it repainted would make it more "aesthetically pleasing."

Myself, I know I am odd, but I love seeing some wear on old drums.

I love the faded WMP wraps, my ginger-aled silver sparkle (it is nicely ginger-aled I swear). So cracks in a duco finish I wouldn't mind.

Oh and Jack Lawton does fabulous work if you decide to send

the drums to him.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

THANKS for the feedback, Harrison!

I know exactly what you mean regarding the "ginger-aled" silver sparkle. I've got a Slingerland Kit from 1958 and the way the finish has evenly aged on the drums does look great. I guess I'm just having a tough time considering paint chips on wooden shells as a vintage "aging" process. Probably just a problem of mine that I've got to get over. I appreciate your time!

Posted on 17 years ago

I see where youre coming from with the paint chips

not being a part of the aging process. I have never owned

a duco or painted drum of any kind so I wouldn't know

firsthand how the chips could be annoying.

I think what I would do in your situation is send the drums

to jack lawton to get the drums touched up.

Pics would be great too! I am a huge fan of leedy.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

I have a Duco (blue and silver) transition badge 10-single tension lugs with a disappearing cymbal holder, but approximately half of the paint has flaked off. The wood is in almost pristine condition, but the paint just flakes off. I think it may have been stored improperly over years and years and parts of it were exposed to heat or to cold and so certain parts of the shell expanded and contracted and the paint "snapped" in the process.

It would look great if I re-painted it, but the drum is not that valuable (so far) and it isn't really practical with the single-tension t-rods and all. There is some historical significance to the transition badge, though and a Duco finish is just the type of thing that potentially COULD become a more popular collectible finish in the future. Originality of the finish (even in poor shape) will hold that potential collector's value whereas a re-paint will reduce it to a player's kit that looks nice.

I, too, would leave the finish "as-is".

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Appreciate your input, O-Lugs!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here