Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Vintage Japanese throne: who made them?

Hello, does anyone know where all those cheap Japanese thrones came from in the 60's? Who made them? Is there any demand for them in the vintage market or do I give it away with the next "entry level" drum set that I sell?

Here is a pic of what I have...

Thanks so much!

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

From mistermeowgi

Hello, does anyone know where all those cheap Japanese thrones came from in the 60's? Who made them? Is there any demand for them in the vintage market or do I give it away with the next "entry level" drum set that I sell? Here is a pic of what I have...Thanks so much!

My best bet? They came from Japan... Eye Ball

Okay, smart a$$ answer out of my system.

Most of the vintage inexpensive thrones I've run across have been good for pictures and such, but not so much for sitting. I wouldn't use one, or give it away to be used frankly. The rolled metal tubing begins to fail at the bends and folds.

Maybe I have just gotten cruddy ones, but I wouldn't sit on them if they are like mine.

I've no idea if there is much demand for these in the market place... maybe, for the same reasons I have a couple... displays and pictures.

fishwaltz
Posted on 13 years ago

From mistermeowgi

Hello, does anyone know where all those cheap Japanese thrones came from in the 60's? Who made them? Is there any demand for them in the vintage market or do I give it away with the next "entry level" drum set that I sell? Here is a pic of what I have...Thanks so much!

By the Wing nut on the throne i would say it was made in the mid 60's by Star..Not any demand for these thrones the were not made good at all the problem was were the wing-nut goes into the hole on the middle of the throne the tube would bend and the top half of the throne would get loose...Also the seat the 4 screws have a problem of coming out of the wood...I would not even give away the throne...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

I agree with what's been said- I would not expect much interest but I am sure some like us here would appreciate such a throne in good cond. for a little bit of pocket change- so don't throw the thing away- a good one might be worth 25$ or so and be lovingly used and kept- that is an important point.

The high resale vintage value is on the canister thrones with the drum wrap on the outside of the wooden barrel- I have seen those of many makers- all of them - sell for top dollar.

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago

Thank you so much everyone. Good point about not even giving it away; if it had been my first throne I probable would have quit after 3 months of playing (the Roc-N-Soc changed my life after I got in '91). I am glad that it was identified as a Star, I know a lot about post war camera production in Japan but nothing about drum production from that time. I have been in the music room of over 50 public schools in Japan and have never seen any vintage Japanese gear, in fact, NO WHERE in Japan (it's all newer Yamaha, Pearl, etc.). Oddly, all of my vintage scores that I have brought out of Japan have been Zildjian and Ludwig. Thanks for the help on this

-Mister Meowgi Sumo Dude

Posted on 13 years ago

I totally agree with Mikey! I have a Star throne from the mid-sixties but I wouldn't trust it for a second. Same with the other hardware. I love the drums but, I do not use the throne or any stands for gigging. I don't need any help to fall on my arse!

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi Mister Meowgi-

drum schools in Japan these days of course simply have to have modern equipment - most have high end gear from Pearl, Yamaha, even Canopus (Tama seems to be less common in schools here - I don't know why). But I suspect that was quite different in the 1970s and 80s. I have acquired a full drum schools worth of Kawai and Negi marching band drums from all over the Japanese auction sites- my school atleast is certified vintageClapping Happy2

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here