Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Vintage hardware repair

Hi!

Which tools do I need to replace the rivets used on vintage Ludwig/WFL hardware? I have a 50's WFL snare stand which is very saggy. I want to take it apart, straighten all the parts and reassemble it but I don't know which tools were used to set the rivets..

Any info would help!

Thanks.

Posted on 8 years ago

The problem is common on all such snare stands with the same design.

Without actual machine shop equipment and tooling it's a difficult fix.

That being the case, the sagging arms can often be manually bent back close to their original shape, and the rivets tightened with a good pair of smooth jawed vise grips mashing together the top and bottom of the rivets. A good rubber hammer may assist in straightening the basket arms if necessary. Hope this is of some help.

Posted on 8 years ago

I have on occasion had some success with those "hollow end rivets". Try masking taping a steel ball bearing into the rivet's hollow end.. and then wind/clamp it up in a vice... (Can spread the end of the rivet a little more).

Tapping the taped in ball with a hammer can also work, but not as controlled.

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 8 years ago

It is not difficult. I'm tearing down a MIJ Slingerland clone snare stand to be brass plated.

Time consuming so try and mend what you have first.

I would find the replacement rivets before drilling/grinding/filing any of the originals off.

Then needed is a rivet setting kit. This affair is a rounded punch to seat the rivet and a bit that holds the domed part of the rivet.

Have been to your Country twice and it is wonderful. A leather craftsman may have worn out tools that would work. Anyone working with metal should be able to assist as well. Let us know if any questions

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

Ok, so I found out that the rivets I'm looking for are semi-tubular rivets, and the tool for setting them is called a clincher. Now I have to find out what they call this in dutch ;)

Btw, the snare basket is still in good shape, but the problem is at the base of the stand. These early 50's wfl stands (with round rubber feet) have a much weaker base than the late 50's and 60's versions.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here