Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Vintage Gretsch - Worth Restoring?

A friend gave me this old snare drum a few years ago. He used to run sound for a club and this old snare was left behind by a band. It's been sitting in my closet collecting dust and it I'm just wondering whether it would be worth investing some money into restoring this old drum. I'll post a few pics, and I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions.

According to the gretsch website, the shape of the logo would date the drum to somewhere in 1970's. The strainer obviously isn't original (it's Ludwig) and the hoops are mismatched (one diecast, one flanged). The shell could use a good scrubbing to...although I'm not too sure about the best way to clean it yet. Needs new heads too.

Haven't decided whether I would keep it or sell it on ebay to someone who would appreciate it much more that I would. (I'm partial to exotic wood snares myself) Who knows...I may end up loving the sound.

Posted on 16 years ago

I've never owned a Gretsch snare, but I've heard they can be an acquired taste. I've read a lot of posts of some people just can't get the sound they want out of them. Me, I'm partial to brass. If it's not your cup of tea, make some money off of it and get what you want. It's always best to sell it as much original as possible.

For what it's worth

backbeatkeeper

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Hmm.

Of the mind lately that most drums be

given a shot.

Rim or otherwise. ( Crickets... cough, cough. )

:rolleyes:

This appears to be an Aluminum shell ( Gretsch Acro )

which unless I'm dealing with a typo or Monday tag

was a 4109 according to the '71 catalog.

Clean 'er up.

Flitz is divine, although some swear by Mother's Mag...

The only Fred in the fleet is a late 50's 4105.

Used it tonight, and must say never thought of selling it.

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here