Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

vintage gretsch vs. not so vintage gretsch

hello,

excuse my long post

right i am playing a gretsch set which i bought in the early nineties.

i use it for all the music i play (funk, pop, blues, surf etc.) used with the right heads it always worked for me and the kickdrum is a winner!

the set is in tony williams yellow (yeah) and with the sizes 8x8 10x9 12x10 14x14 and a 20x16 kick and i use whatever combination i need.

now i am also looking for a older gretsch small jazz kit in 18x14 14x14 and 12x8 for my more experimental acoustic music styles. (i recently played a round badge gretsch jazzette and totally loved it)

but it seems these sets only come with a pretty hefty collectors item price tag.

now i have an offer to aquire a 18x16 bassdrum and another 12x10 from the same period (late 80ies early nineties)both also in tw yellow.

i was thinking to shorten these drums to 18x14 and 12x8 and have the bearing edges recut.

now is it possible to achieve a good sound with this, similar to the older 60ies sets or did gretsch change the shells considerably?

thanks for all help!

Posted on 15 years ago

Gretsch claims on their website that they have been making the USA drums the same way since the mid fifties when they came out with the 6-ply shells......so, I would say, Round Badge, Stopsign badge, Square badge are pretty much the same save for some minor hardware details....they all sound like Gretsch to my ears, so I say save some $$ and snag them!

Posted on 15 years ago

The shells were made the same way by Jasper until around 2002 . But the bearing edges have changed since the 70's , so the round badge drums will sound a bit different than the more modern drums .

The Stop sign models all used the same shell. Jasper combination gumwood/maple, six ply for the toms and eight for the kick. Around 1973 Gretsch changed the way they manufactured their bearing edges. They changed from a very rounded edge - called the pencilled edge - to the classic 30 degree edge still in use today . The difference in sound is dramatic. The rounded edge sends an enormous amount of the energy of the drum hit into the shell, resulting in a less resonant when hit at higher volumes.

Gretsch made the change because of the number of rock players wanting to play their drums harder without choking the sound of the drum. The shells were also thinnner from the mid 70's and vent holes were placed in the toms . Point - nothing is going to sound exactly like the round badge kit you played unless it IS a round badge kit .

My 2000 Broadkasters definitely have more resonance , bottom end and a wider tuning range than my 62 Gretsch kit . And then there is the problem with tight fitting heads on the vintage sets . Violin

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 15 years ago

hmm, so if i ask my drumbuilder to cut me some "pencilled" edges i should come close to the old sound even with shells from the 80ies/90ies?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here