Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Vintage gretsch shell? Rim? Over seas or USA modern badge?

I have owned Gretsch drums just about all of my drumming life. I just started to get into the history and restoration and such. I had purchased a shell on e bay that was listed as a "vintage 60's Gretsch round badge shell". When I recieved it, after a very quick exam, I saw the silver lining, sticker, and the pin hole where the badge was and I deemed it genuine. But now after some more scrutiny, I am not so sure.

1) There is no stamp whatsoever in the sticker to indicate that there was ever a serial # there. Did Gretsch ever NOT put a # on their stickers?

2) If I sight along the holes for the lugs, they aren't quite in line. I realize that technology and machinery was far from advanced in the early 60's, but I can get the holes more aligned freehand than what these were. Is this common?

3) There are a few chips in the shell on the inside right below the bearing edges that are completely covered in silver paint. This to me would indicate that the shell was in this condition while present in the factory BEFORE the coating was applied. Is this common?

My second point of question about Gretsch is about their rims. Was there a period from the Co.'s inception up til the late 50's that they used flanged instead of Diecast rims?

My final concern is of thier modern badges. I have a modern Catalina snare, a Modern Renown Snare and I own a USA custom set form the late 80's. All of these badges reflect their specific line of drum...USA, Renown, etc...

Recently I purchase a 10 ply Maple snare on E bay that just has "Gretsch" on the top and bot. of the badge. I have also seen Gretsch badges on drum shells and alone for bid on E bay that bare the same likeness. The snare has the silver coating on the inside of the shell as did the shells on E bay. What line are these from? I was under the impression that they only used the silver coating on their USA drums and the over seas Renown line. Fi this is the case and the drums are one of these lines, why are the badges so generic? I am confused:

Posted on 16 years ago

Ans. to your second point of question:All I know is Gretsch changed the hoops on the toms around 57' from the double flanged brass hoops to die cast. the snares up to that point had double flange die cast "stick choppers" & changed to the die cast hoops they still use. (around 57' is when they lost most of their endoresors, I think because of the switch from Gretsch 3 ply to Jasper 6 ply & the hoops)

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here