Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Vintage Gretsch Aqua Satin Flame

I have inherited two mid to late sixties RB Gretsch sets in Aqua satin flame. The best of the two is a Name Band 4 piece 20,13,16 with a 4157 snare. The other is a 22,12,12 16 with no snare.

The finish on both is typical very used and abused satin flame and I would really like to restore the Name Band 4 piece to pristine condition. My question is does anyone still make the original color and pattern satin flame. All the ones I see are not the right color or pattern and I don't want a different color or pattern although Jammin Sam states on their website that their turquoise sf is the same as the vintage aqua.

Any info or thoughts are appreciated. Maybe order a piece and see how it matches

Posted on 7 years ago

I would contact vendors and ask them to send you samples. The new stuff is close but not quite the same. Good luck with your project.

Posted on 7 years ago

It is a shame about the original flame, but I don't think you will find anyone will hatch an exact match. Getting samples is the way to go.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Meant to say, try black. It would look awesome on that Name Band set.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi noblesd... and Welcome to the forum!

As previously stated, current satin flame wraps will look nothing like those from the 60's. You might want to think about a pearl or sparkle finish. I believe that Gretsch used glass glitters. The biggest issue is that today's glitters are thicker than from the 60's and 70's. This will most likely cause a head fit issue with Gretsch shells.

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

From noblesd

I have inherited two mid to late sixties RB Gretsch sets in Aqua satin flame. The best of the two is a Name Band 4 piece 20,13,16 with a 4157 snare. The other is a 22,12,12 16 with no snare.The finish on both is typical very used and abused satin flame and I would really like to restore the Name Band 4 piece to pristine condition. My question is does anyone still make the original color and pattern satin flame. All the ones I see are not the right color or pattern and I don't want a different color or pattern although Jammin Sam states on their website that their turquoise sf is the same as the vintage aqua.Any info or thoughts are appreciated. Maybe order a piece and see how it matches

Can we get a Pic ?

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks all. I am going to have to decide which direction to go. I need some hardware and such also so I'm looking at a major restoration project but I feel obligated to make them whole again as my dear friend left them to me and he had them since new in 66-67.

Thanks again. Will update as I get a plan together and decide on direction.

Posted on 7 years ago

Oh, by the way, got samples of the turquoise satin flame from Jammin Sam. Not even close in color or pattern. I also got a sample of turquoise sparkle. Closer in color and would be an interesting finish. My concern is I would want to restore in something the factory offered for this vintage and I don't think turquoise was one of the colors.

Posted on 7 years ago

Here's your mid-sixties Gretsch color chart that included the aqua satin flame:

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Meant to say, try black. It would look awesome on that Name Band set.

Black classes up -any- kit not just that one. Basic black is just super classy looking and always looks good on a kit. When I rewrapped my transition badge kit I used a new version of Mardi Gras which has a black background. From a distance all you see is the black. The colored flecks are too small to see unless you're up close. Not a traditional finish for Ludwig, but I love it my drums. Basic black, yas, yas! Walking

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here