Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Vintage Everything?

Ok, Here is a question for all you vintage players and collectors out there. I have just purchased a vintage ludwig WMP set and wondering...should i get all vintage hardware to match the kit? Even thought the vintage ludwig snare stands aren't that good..and a speed king squeeks more than a bunch of mice.

So what do you say..is it ok to mix new with old..or should you try your best to "keep it real" as they say

Dave

Posted on 18 years ago

For sure, no problem at all in regards to hardware. There are a variety of collectors and many have complete original sets and other sets that are not.

Older hardware is not very practical for todays style players. Although a Speed King pedal can also be very nice and I have a few that did not squeek. Also in regards to snare stands Ludwig stands did the trick for me.

It really depends on how heavy of a player you are and that would determine the hardware you need. In regards to the set you have and if it should have all correct hardware, that is not really important unless you are trying to match a particular drummer and or bring a drum set back to its original catalog appearence.

Hardware is such a personal preference that in many cases it does not matter.

I have had maybe 3 of four vintage sets that were complete including the hardware and I sold them with the original hardware as I original got them. I played them with my Yamaha hardware.

Others might have a different opinion

David

Posted on 18 years ago

hmmm interesting.

Well I will be playing quite a bit so I want them to hold up for sure. I think I may try and make the kit as complete as it can be. Mainly becuase it will look soooo killer.

So what about vintage cymbals...should i buy new ones or keep my eyes peeled for some vintage zildjians?

Dave

Posted on 18 years ago

The only reasons I'd get period hardware are to display the kit, (Loan to stores, conventions, photoshoots etc) or for re-sale value.

For any other work, I'd use modern hardware.

www.drumarchive.com
www.mikedolbear.com
Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

hmmm interesting. Well I will be playing quite a bit so I want them to hold up for sure. I think I may try and make the kit as complete as it can be. Mainly becuase it will look soooo killer. So what about vintage cymbals...should i buy new ones or keep my eyes peeled for some vintage zildjians? Dave

Yes, Vintage Cymbals have seen a rise in value and more and more people are buying and selling them. The best part is many manufactureres are trying to capture that vintage sound with new cymbals and from what I have heard they are very good.

Depending on the year of that set, Ludwig might have been working with Paiste at the time.

We also have Michael Vosbein the USA President for Bosphorus Cymbals on the board. He is very knowledgable about cymbals. Steve Maxwell is a member and he is also very knowledgable about cymbals so let's see if they add some insight into the topic.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

The kit is stamped june 68.

i was thinking of a vintage zildjian hi hat and a vintage 20" zildjian sizzle ride for that ultra cool jazz sound.

that combined with some nice new drum heads and I should be good to go.

I guess I should also get some shell cases...but I won't be moving these babies all that much.

I am a firm believer in playing what you own. I could never own a vintage kit and just display it. They were meant to be played..so damn it I am going to play the

:0)

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Dave, IMO, as far as the hardware is concerned, and if the set was mine, I would at least like to have the proper BD Rail Consolette, the proper BD Cymbal L-Arm, and the correct BD Spurs-FL Tom Legs.

In other words, at lease trying to keep the main set itself intact, and free of extra holes, or other oddball hardware in this regard.

Other than that, there's not a real helluva lot of importance of having the correct time period Cymbal Stands, Hi-Hat Stands, or BD Pedal, in which much of this was not of the quality of what's made today.

For these, I would recommend a DW BD Pedal (5000, or even better yet, the 9000), DW Hi-Hat Stand, DW Snare Stand, and DW does make vintage style flat base cymbal stands, that should work wonderfully, and look mighty nice with your vintage set. If you have a good Drum Store, or a Guitar Center nearby, all of this could be gotten in one shot. In, and out, and you'd be up, and running. About the only downside with some of the DW HArdware, although it is built like a tank, some of it is a bit on the heavy side.

If you would eventually like them, then yes, the vintage, time correct hardware could be acquired at a later time, piece by piece.

As far as vintage, time correct cymbals go, the early Paiste cymbals, typically what was offered with many Ludwig Drums back then were sort of dogs IMO, and many I sampled back then were bland, and lackluster.

While the 60's Zildjians were a much better cymbal IMO during this time period, there were also quite a few dogs with these also.

I can remember going through literally 100's of Zildjian Cymbals back in the 60's at Frank's Drum Shop/Chicago to find a suitable candidate. Quite a few of them sounded like garbage can lids back then, and many new Zildjians-Sabians in my opinion do now. The exception to that usually, are the Zildjian New Beat Hi-Hats. These I personally still like better than other manufacturer's Hi-Hat Cymbals.

Whatever Cymbals you do decide on, I highly recommend trying/sampling in person. Consistency I've found is usually very good with modern Paiste Signature Series Cymbals. While in the old days, I owned all A.Zildjian, I now use all modern Paiste Signature.

Hope this helps, and best of luck! Mark

Posted on 18 years ago

Hi Davejmw...!

I guess I have to add my 2 cents!...

I play full time and gig on ALL vintage drums... almost always Rogers, and every once and a while, if the mood strikes, my Slingerlands. ALL my kits are complete with correct hardware. My two Rogers BR kits are '65's, and '66's... Swan Leg cymbal stands, Swivo pedal/Hi-Hat, and Rogers "L" arm bass drum mounted cymbal holders. This is ALL single braced hardware as that was all that was available... then... Same with the Slingerland's except the hardware is '70's BR hardware, but still all single braced. Okay,

I have never had as much as a stand "slip/collapse", let alone suffer a failure of any kind, AND, depending on what band I'm working with, the music can certainly be slammin'! Needless to say, for the lighter gigs, there aren't any worries either! ALL my kits are BR models... ( in WMP! )... which leads to this:

Buddy was a powerhouse... now that's an understatement! The point being, he really laid into his drums/cymbals when the need was there, and he was using single braced hardware, which we now call vintage. No problems...

The ADDED benefit is the shlep/transportation/weight factor... What a difference in the actual weight of your trap bag/case!, PLUS!, the vintage stuff folds up SMALLER too! The trap bag/case will not be anywhere near as heavy, or as full. My hardware is all original and it is not rusted or pitted... but I'm sure there are exceptions to that. Regardless,

You asked... I say USE the vintage hardware! Unless of course you're doing a Heavy Metal gig, but then, would you be using vintage drums/hardware anyway?! :-) You can't beat the aesthetics!... plus the vintage vibe is awesome. The lighter weight is a bonus! Enjoy!!!! :-)

As for cymbals: Use whatever you want for the type gig you're playing... they most certainly don't have to be period... besides, there are so many more choices today, although I own some vintage cymbals and still play 'em... they sound like nothing else, ESPECIALLY with regard to weight. Today's cymbals seem to be very heavy. Perhaps the manufacturer's defense against improper playing/breakage.

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago

Never drill holes in vintage drums! :)

As far as vintage everything else? I like the old Speed King pedal and I don't need heavy stands, so be it new or vintage makes little difference in durability (for me, anyway). I like to have the option of vintage everything.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Wow this forumn is great.

Only problem is now I have to make up my mind..story of my life.

Anyway I think if the price is right I will go with vintage eveything..i just love the vibe sooo much.

As for cymbals, I was thinking of buying them off ebay but I think I agree that I should test them out before I buy..makes total sense.

Once I have the kit all set up and ready to go I will post a picture..but here is what they look like right now. I just bought them and I am a very proud father.

Thanks to everybody and their 2 cents..

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here