Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

VINTAGE DuCo FAMILY

Hi,

As we all know DuCo finishes do not stand the test of time very well but here are a few exceptions for you to enjoy.

MID-1930s LUDWIG & LUDWIG 5 x 14 DuCo STANDARD MODEL

LATE 1930s LEEDY 6 x 14 DuCo BROADWAY PARALLEL MODEL

1932 SLINGERLAND 6.5 x 14 DuCo DuALL MODEL

1935-36 SLINGERLAND 6.5 x 14 DuCo BROADCASTER MODEL

DuCo (Dupont Company) finishes were the less expensive option compared to the pearl/pyralin finishes but were way more prone to cracking and chipping as it was simply lacquer applied to the shell. One would think that the less expensive drums would have the DuCo finishes but these four snares are perfect examples of higher end (and somewhat rare) drums whose owners chose the less expensive shell finish option. In my opinion this is like putting Sears tires on a Ferrariā€¦but I still will not pass up a rare snare drum with an inexpensive finish.

Enjoy!

Mike Curotto

Posted on 3 years ago

Thanks, I didn't realize that DuCo meant Dupont. Didn't Dupont also make the TNT for hand grenades during that time?

I've read of WWII GIs "fishing" by dropping "a Dupont lure" into a lake. The concussion would kill the fish, which would rise to the surface.

Anyhow, gorgeous Duco finishes on those snares. Nicest I've ever seen.

And I laughed out loud at your joke about putting Sears tires on a Ferrari!

Thanks, Marty B

Posted on 3 years ago

Hi Mike!

I love your "Sears tires on a Ferrari" drums! Four beautiful examples of Duco finishes. To find them in this condition is incredibly rare! Thanks for sharing!

-Mark

Posted on 3 years ago

From Marty Black

Thanks, I didn't realize that DuCo meant Dupont. Didn't Dupont also make the TNT for hand grenades during that time?I've read of WWII GIs "fishing" by dropping "a Dupont lure" into a lake. The concussion would kill the fish, which would rise to the surface.Anyhow, gorgeous Duco finishes on those snares. Nicest I've ever seen.And I laughed out loud at your joke about putting Sears tires on a Ferrari!Thanks, Marty B

Yes thanks for the info, I thought Duco was for Dual Color.

Posted on 3 years ago

Fender guitar colors from the earliest days of production were mostly DUCO paint colors. Leo Fender favored Dupont paint colors that were used by Cadillac and Ford. Some of the most desired early Fender guitars were painted in colors found on mid-1950s Ford Thunderbirds.

1 attachments
No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 3 years ago

Another nice specimen, Mike!! Thanks for posting!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 3 years ago
Action Another action Something else here