Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Vintage Drum Wraps

Is there a definitive way to tell whether a vintage American kit has its original factory wrap?

With some kits being purchased as "players" and others as "collectibles" in various parts of the country and exposed to varied weather conditions is there really a way to know one way or the other?

As with most items, I know drummers that take immaculate care of their kits, while others literally "destroy" theirs without a second thought. Some store theirs in cases when not in use, while others keep them in basements or attics where temperatures hit extremes at both ends.

I believe that Ludwig used to "tuck" their wraps into the shells. Did the others (Slingerland, Rogers, Gretsch, etc.) do the same or something similar? Were the original bass drum wraps one piece or were two pieces used? Did the wraps on the toms and snare drums start and finish under the lugs for all the American manufacturers?

I realize that one could remove the rims and heads to check the "fade" on some of the wraps, but I've actually seen kits advertised as having their "original wrap" that actually looked better cosmetically than those advertised as "re-wraps."

So what's the secret here? Is there truly a way to tell for sure? Is it easier to determine the originality of the wrap on one manufacturer's kit as compared to another's?

I think most will agree that kits with original wraps, even with cosmetic issues (tears, fade, separation), are valued more than re-wrapped kits in mint condition.

Then there's the discussion as to the effect on the sound of the kit. I know individuals that swear that the wrap is nothing more than "window dressing", while others truly believe that a re-wrapped kit sounds different than a comparable kit with its original wrap.

THANKS in advance for your time and feedback!Clapping Happy2

Posted on 16 years ago

As far as sound is concerned, I suppose it would figure that an old wrap is drier and less flexible or something like that and on some microscopic level, there would be a "difference"...but probably not a detectable one to the human range of hearing.

But, old wraps were made from different materials from one another, anyway. A "Cortex" wrap for example, was different than a sparkle wrap.

60's Ludwig drums had the wrap tucked into the scarf joint...not a very good method...or was it? Well, based upon the sound, they sounded great -as evidenced by all the great music that was made on them.

I guess my point is that sometimes we "hear" things with our minds -sometimes more so than with our ears.

Collectible kits are the ones that have stayed together intact and kept well.

I have a drop-dead MINT blue sparkle "Super Classic" kit that's from "the 70's" -meaning the bass drum and tom tom are from 1970...the floor tom is from 1976...and the Supraphonic is from 1979 - all with pointy B/O badges and all with clear maple interiors (3-ply shells)...all with rotary dial mufflers...All the original "dB" series drumheads...The only differences among the kit is that the drums were not "born" together from the factory.

At the end of the 60's, Ludwig started making the shells and NOT tucking the wrap into the scarf joint... I have examples of both. I have A/B'd them many times and I have deduced that the drums have differences...but no more so than any other drums have differences. Generally, the timbre is the same -in essence, they ALL sound like Ludwigs. Some of them require a higher tuning...Some require a lower tuning range. I have examples of 2 different 14 X 14 floor toms and they are exactly the same -except that one weighs about 1/2 lb. more than the other one! Why? -Probably due to different wood density.

Original condition is everything to a collector. Original "bad" condition may not appeal as much to one collector as it would to another collector, but...it's certainly panned out to be that wy among vintage guitar collectors. They would rather have a beat-to-heck original finish than they wuld to have a refinished example -no matter how accurately the recreation might be.

2 centsBurger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here