Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Vintage Drum Market

I noticed on Steve Maxwell's site an interesting paragraph about market values for vintage drums. He sees it as very strong. With recession looming, it is hard to understand how that market might be impacted. However, there is a relationship with many other vintage items. It plays out when there is less confidence in currencies. Ours here in the US is seeing some unprecedented devaluation. I assume similar impacts elsewhere. The currency is buying much less of the simple commodities like food and gas and the past couple of years in real estate has been bizarre.

What say ye all on vintage drum values?

Posted on 2 years ago

Interesting topic, Dan....I think about the vintage drum market often, as I have a half-dozen COB and Aluminum Ludwig snares that are in excellent-plus condition. I don't intend to play them, so I should sell them, but I'm patiently waiting for the market to visibly improve (recover to what it seemed to be pre-pandemic.)

I get a Reverb and Ebay feed on my email every day, re: Ludwig snares and kits, and I don't think the market has recovered at all yet. Sure, guys ask stupid money for stuff, but then a month or two later, I see the same items annotated with "price drop" and "seller is accepting offers."

Very clean born-together 1960s Ludwig shell-packs are listed anywhere from $3000 (overseas sellers) to $1200 (stateside sellers), but I don't see much movement. I think they were selling for nearer to $2000 pre-pandemic.

But then again, surprises happen. The other day someone had a 1950s COB WFL Super Ludwig for sale for $2000 Buy It Now. It was really clean and factory-original, but I didn't think it was worth more than maybe $1200 max. Well, it sold in 1 day! "Just gotta have it!" (I know I've been guilty of that.)

I attended the Chicago drum show in May, and there were a lot of very nice vintage Ludwig snares and shell packs for reasonable (I thought) prices. After all, the dealers didn't want to have to pack them all up and take them home. But on Sunday afternoon, I noticed - that it appeared to me, that very few actually sold. I found that discouraging and I'm sure the vendors were more discouraged.

I'm not a buyer/seller wheeler-dealer and I no longer collect, but it appears to me that the vintage drum market is still deflated, because of the economy. I wonder how much Steve Maxwell gets for similar kits. I know his list prices are always high, but I wonder what the actual selling price is.

From my very small observatory!

Regards, mb

Posted on 2 years ago

My take on this subject is that, as a seller and collector, I KNOW what I have.....And I know what I am willing to sell any of it for....and that is -a LOT of money-! If the recession affects the market value of vintage drums, in general, it still won't affect my prices. I just won't sell in that case. I've already sold off most of the stuff that didn't matter that much to me, anyway. What is left if the creme-de-la-creme of what I DO care about. I'll be buried with it if I don't get the prices I want. No one will ever get a good deal from me!

I don't think Ebay sales reflect what the values of vintage drums are, anymore. It costs too much to sell on Ebay and then the cost to ship a drum set anywhere is outrageous. It's a lot of trouble to go to....The whole process sucks. It costs a ton of money just to do a mediocre deal. I'll entertain private offers from people who have money coming out of their ears...but that's about it.

If "the" market is down, I just make a different market! :)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Here in New Zealand, the vintage drum market is relatively small. Due to the difficulties and associated costs (Dan knows what I mean!) in importing drums, the domestic market remains quite expensive but Kiwis are notoriously reluctant to pay over the odds. Several vintage kits have been advertised locally for quite some time 6 months+ with no takers. E.g. 60s Ludwig Club Date asking NZ$5,990. Hikes in energy & food costs, and inflation at 7% are all contributing factors.

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 2 years ago

Wow Gerard. Maybe I’ll pick up a Club Date or two and fly over with them as excess baggage. Might pay for my trip. I used to bring a kit with me to the ME on BA free. One trip they tried to deny me, but I always carried the website page that musical instruments were free. They said it was meant for an instrument that could fit in the in cabin closet. I inquired if they understand that was discrimination. They let me go. I didn’t try again after that.

Posted on 2 years ago

I see it as pretty simple, at least in the vintage drum market...recession or not, those that have the wherewithal will still be buying vintage drums at any price.

Mike Curotto

Posted on 2 years ago

Absolutely Dan. It’s a bit like the public bus service here that says it’ll allow dogs on buses. Unfortunately it only extends to dogs that can fit in your pocket! My 40kg Gordon Setter would not pass that test!

From Dan Boucher

Wow Gerard. Maybe I’ll pick up a Club Date or two and fly over with them as excess baggage. Might pay for my trip. I used to bring a kit with me to the ME on BA free. One trip they tried to deny me, but I always carried the website page that musical instruments were free. They said it was meant for an instrument that could fit in the in cabin closet. I inquired if they understand that was discrimination. They let me go. I didn’t try again after that.

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 2 years ago

From Mike Curotto

I see it as pretty simple, at least in the vintage drum market...recession or not, those that have the wherewithal will still be buying vintage drums at any price. Mike Curotto

This.

I know that collecting vintage drums can be a business for some people, but for most people, it's a hobby....or a game to have fun with. So "fair market value" and concepts like that don't really apply. Like you say, the people who can afford to play the game will deal themselves in at any price.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

I hate to say it but ..

" He who passes with the least Toys wins "

Yes the world has changed : )

Getting out of these Gems we have culled and acquired over the years (the good years...(remember those?)

Getting out....Is the monumental task

Gettng in was enjoyable

~

Now we have monitored transactions anything over 600 is taxed; Shipping night mare stories, Social Distancing (say what?)

He who passes with the least Wins

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 2 years ago
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here