Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Vintage Drum Head Replacement

I'll be replacing a few heads on some 1940s tacked-bottom toms in the immediate future and am trying to determine which "modern" head to use as the replacement.

It seems that the Aquarian American Vintage head or the

Remo Fiberskyn head might be possible choices.

I'm aware that the Aquarian product has a slightly larger diameter to accomodate vintage shells. Is the same true of the Remo head? Also, are there any significant differences between the two in regard to quality, functionality or sound?

As usual, I'd appreciate any feedback that you might be able to offer.

Posted on 16 years ago

I really dig the tone and warmth (and look) of the Vintage heads, and they will certainly fit your drum no problem.

But with the Remo, theres a chance it might not. And personally, I think the vintage heads sound better.

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 16 years ago

Appreciate your input, Michael!Clapping Happy2

Posted on 16 years ago

I put all new Remo Fiberskyn heads on my last drum set and they started wearing pretty quick- "bubbling" at the center. On the bass drum I used a FS Powerstroke to replace the old original skin, but I never got the drum to sound the same afterwards. I had some luck with a FS on a snare I owned a few years ago but Im not sure I would buy them again. Just one man's opinion.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here