Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Vintage BOP Wrap

So who makes the most accurate 60's BOP? I need to rewrap a kit & I want the best. I looked at Jammin' Sams & thought their 60s wrap looked better than Precision's. Are there any others that make better 60's BOP wrap? I love the 60s BOP on the Ludwig Legacy kits. Anyone know where they get their wrap from?

Posted on 11 years ago

Good question.

If I am correct (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am not), the wrap is basically manufactured all the same, whether it's Jammin' Sam or Precision or Drummaker.com, I think they typically get their wrap all from the same supplier(s).

Also, I know that batches of wrap can vary slightly. Example, if Precision orders 50 sheets of Gold Sparkle from their supplier, it may be slightly different than the last sheet of Gold Sparkle in their warehouse that was delivered 6 months ago from said supplier.

Posted on 11 years ago

I have to believe that drum makers have a source other than people like us.

I, too, would love to find an acceptable "60's Black Oyster Pearl" wrap....but can't. They apparently do all come from the same supplier as they are all the same, yet the drums you mention have the wrap that I can't find.

I personally am no longer even trying to find some. And forget about finding a wrap to match an actual 60's Ludwig BOP. Aging, fading, etc. just won't let it happen. It's hard enough to match original wrapped BOP drums to each other....even from the same year!!

Posted on 11 years ago

One of the major restorers says the runs of OBP are like snowflakes - none the same. I see variations during the popular years from the late 50's to the late 60's. There is a kit on eBay right now that is from '67. The mounted tom is very close to the wrap I got, but the other two vary from that. It is also somewhat difficult to see unless you have some really good photography. It seems that the main difference is found in the amount of squiggling seen in the whiter parts.

However, the current material is a completely differing plastic than that which was used in the early days. At that time they were translucent - like the original onyx's - and they were highly flamable. That is why you also sometimes see the brown of the mahogany or the color of the glue coming through a wrap. That is also the main reason for the change - reducing the tendency to ignite.

Nowadays, the variations are mostly to do with the color of the background. For example, Jammin' Sam's onyx's have a different back layer from Precision's. The black onyx from Jammin' is white on the back and from Precision it is black and gives a much differing appearance because the back layer is seen through the frontal layers.

Glue and outer layer of wood also has a major effect. Check out these photos from an fail plastic on a Rogers Dayton speckled era tom.

Posted on 11 years ago

I've used Jammin' Sam's BOP, and have some from there on a current project. IMO, it's about as close as it's going to get.

I ditto what's been mentioned above: shoot, even from one end of a sheet to the other there can be quite a variation in colors and patterns. Most people, when they see a set done with it, can't see the differences and wouldn't care anyway.

So, if you're looking for something exact and that's what important, forget it.

If you're looking for something that gives a similar "wow" factor, go for it.

Just my opinion.

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 11 years ago

Here's what was put on mine.

It's very close to what is on the first tom from '67, but quite different from what is on the second one from '67. Generally speaking though, I think there is more marbling in some than others.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here