Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

Vintage Bass Drum Hoop Inlay Questions?

I recently bought a 1961 Gretsch kit. The bass drum hoops are mostly "hooped" - sorry - haha.

My questions are (to start with):

What is the best way to carefully remove the Gold Sparkle inlay from my hoops?

I want to save the inlay to put it on some good hoops.

And - do I have to be really careful when I buy vintage hoops regarding width of inlay? I mean do I have to look for exactly 1961 (mine are 20 inch) hoops - or are they pretty much standard in inlay width from say 1958 on?

Or would I have to look for 20" hoops that were made for 3ply drums??

Posted on 15 years ago

Usually the inlay on old gretsch hoops is starting to fall off anyway, and its just a matter of *carefully* coaxing it off with a spatula to keep it going. Don't bend the inlay too much or it will break. Heat from a heat gun on low or from a hair dryer may help. If its really on tight it was probably reglued recently, in which case it may be harder and you'll have to be even more careful.

The wood hoops were pretty standard through the 50's and 60's - all were the same basic size and took the same 3/4" inlay - up until the time they went to chrome steel hoops for a time in the 70's.

Are you sure you can't fix the hoops you have? If you can't and need to buy replacements, you might be able to get the correct inlay which will save work (but take you more searching!)

Posted on 14 years ago

From 4MoreYearsOhNo

Usually the inlay on old gretsch hoops is starting to fall off anyway, and its just a matter of *carefully* coaxing it off with a spatula to keep it going. Don't bend the inlay too much or it will break. Heat from a heat gun on low or from a hair dryer may help. If its really on tight it was probably reglued recently, in which case it may be harder and you'll have to be even more careful.The wood hoops were pretty standard through the 50's and 60's - all were the same basic size and took the same 3/4" inlay - up until the time they went to chrome steel hoops for a time in the 70's.Are you sure you can't fix the hoops you have? If you can't and need to buy replacements, you might be able to get the correct inlay which will save work (but take you more searching!)

Thanks for that.

I'm in the process of buying hoops. One of mine has a gouge (dry rot) taken out - the other is not too bad shape. I've been trying to get the inlay too because one of mine is not good. No luck yet.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here