Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Vintage Badges

I've got a Ludwig 20 inch Oyster Black Pearl Bass Drum with a serial number of 76759 on the Keystone Badge. Unless I'm mistaken, this would date the drum sometime in 1964.

I've been spending some time cleaning up some of my vintage pieces and was wondering what the consensus opinion is (assuming there is one) on vintage badges. Do most collectors leave them "as is", like the one on this drum, or do they spend time cleaning and polishing them?

Do you even consider this an issue when considering buying or selling vintage drums and/or kits? In other words, could it possibly have any affect (positive or negative) on the resale value? I realize that it may sound trivial but I've also run into some extremely picky prospective buyers through the years.

If polishing is the choice, what would you use to bring this particular badge back to its original "gold" color?

THANKS in advance for your time and input!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Try a mixture of salt and vinegar, works good on pennies....

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

Is your drum an orphan? I recently acquired mid 60s Ludwig 13 and 16 inch black oyster pearl toms. Obviously, I'd like to unite them with a bass drum. PM me if interested...

Posted on 15 years ago

My guess is that this would be based on personal preference. It seems like the drums and/or badges in their original condition would be more valuable, but that's basically just an educated guess. I'm not a big collector, so I don't really know the rules when it comes to stuff like that. Personally, I like things to look as good as possible, so polishing the badge would be a plus for me. Just my two cents...

Posted on 15 years ago

Many collectors feel that highly polishing the badge can hurt the value of the drum...I'd clean the drum, but leave the badge un-polished.

Posted on 15 years ago

All:

THANKS for the feedback to date. I truly appreciate it.

Rocketman: I purchased the bass drum with a matching 12 inch rack tom and 16 inch floor tom, which I've still got.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here