Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Vintage badge removal and re-application

I am working on gathering the parts and pieces to add an 8X12 rack tom to a vintage 4 Piece Slingerland kit I bought a few weeks ago. These are great drums and I am trying to "stay true to the era" with whatever I can assemble.

I have acquired a shell (close match to the darker Blue Sparkle Pearl -but not exact), got the double Set-O-Matic Tom mounts, scored some rims and have now nailed down all of the lugs and tension rods by purchasing a similar vintage (Black & Gold badge) 9x13 rack tom.

Here is my question -

Whether or not I wind up re-wrapping the 8x12 shell to get a little better color match - is it considered appropriate to take the badge off one drum and re-attach it to another? Given that these were serial numbered badges, that kind of feels like changing VIN numbers on a car.

I know it only matters if this gets misrepresented in a re-sale, but I'm wondering if the purists out there have any thoughts on the matter.

Also, if this meets with consensus approval - what is the best way to remove and re-attach a badge?

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I'm a player and not a collect 'em kind of guy...so, the badges don't matter much to me. I will say that if you use a dremmel...dremell...dremel.....dremile....one of those high speed spinning things on the inside rim of the grommet, it should come off nicely. Then attach it to the 'new' drum with a new grommet. No sweat.

Dang! Nice kit!!!

Posted on 15 years ago

No re-wrap material will be closer to your original...Slingerland blue sparkle is real hard to match up year to year. The available blue glass glitter is closer to '70s lighter blue Slingerland sparkle. The only other available wrap is the blue sparkle which has a similar lighter blue shade, but has the "confetti" type sparkle which Slingerland never used (in blue).

I'd say to use the tom you have and keep an eye out for an exact match 8 x 12...then you could sell off the extra one you have. Slingerland singles are relatively easy to find in blue sparkle...odds are a real good match will eventually turn up.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]If you REALLY wanna hit the nail on the head with the color, you gotta go to the Custom ColorWraps which drummaker.com sells. That can match ANY hue.

IMHO, I don't have much of a problem with your badge conundrum provided that the shells are from the same era w/i a few years of each other, give or take.

I would not wanna see a black and gold Chicago badge on a late '70's 5-ply shell...well, you get my drift....:o[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here