Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Vintage Arbiter Autotune Snare Drum In Need Of Restoration

This snare drum i bought off ebay for peanuts. Complete with its original hardware. The size is 6.5" x 14". Manufactured about 75/76. It comes with original snare stand. The original colour is yellow. Has original rogers hardware. Rogers fitments were fitted to all arbiter autotunes as standard back in the day.. It was sprayed red then some golden brown glittery mess. These are the pics as i got it. At this moment in time the hoops have gone to my mates for full resto and will come back like new. Im taking charge of the shell and other fitments of which are already looking great and clean. Once its done along with the other snare im renovating then all will be revealed. Within 2 wks 2 great snare drums will be shown to you all fully restored to full 100% original spec. As you all know i restore to a very high standard......Thanks sean

Posted on 7 years ago

Here is another pic i got from an arbiter autotune catalogue.

1 attachments
92.9 kB
Posted on 7 years ago

They are very cool and facinating sean.

Fiberglass right?

How do they tune up and down sir?

Turn 1 bolt on the side with a key? or spin the whole rim?

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 7 years ago

Sean,

Here is a pic of the "Advanced Tuning" version Arbiter snare that came as a bonus with the Acrylic Star kit I refurbished this summer. It was in good shape, but the original strainer hardware was missing, and had been replaced in a silly way with two janky old strainers, but at least they didn't drill any holes! I cleaned it up and installed a Trick strainer. It's only a 12", which takes a little getting used to, but it sounds great. It is amazingly solid and well made. I'd love to see the differences in the tuning mechanism between the two generations of Arbiters up close.

AL

1 attachments
Stop stringing and tuning your instrument, make music now.
-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:
1970ish Ludwig Standard Avocado Strata downbeat
1970ish Star Acrylic 22,12,13,16
1950’s Gretsch tympani 26.5
19?? Sonor roto-tympani 13x12
70’s Ludwig Standard alum 14x5 snare
90’s Arbiter Adv. Tuning 12x5 snare
90’s Ludwig blackrolite 14x5 snare

Modern Drums:
Erie Drums 1-ply sycamore shell kit 18,10,13
Erie 1-ply maple 14x5 snare
Tama S.L.P. Acrylic 14x6.5 snare
Posted on 7 years ago

Ive had the AT version which was the later version and those later versions were a great looking sounding and easy to tune snare drum. The Arbiter Autotune was the first Earlier idea which also works very well especially nowadays with the range of heads on offer. Take any of the drums and add Just under 2" to the size because of the middle area. The snare drum 5" or 6.5" depth and 14" diameter which with the middle section gives just under 2". So its a big snare drum sound, nearly a 16" snare drum. If you goto www.drumarchive.com there is more info on these drums. Also Abba's drummers back in the 70's on many you tube clips used the white Autotune kits. Ive got two complete white Arbiter Autotune kits both of which sound great. To prove the sound quality and ease of changing a drum head ill put a vid together. I think in my opinion Ivor Arbiter who also invented the Hayman line of drums was way ahead of his time. Problem was the drums he invented cost too much too produce but are starting to become highly collectable. One last point on a 5 pce kit i can change all the batter heads in a few minutes fully tuned. The Autotune drums work like a jam jar and the AT line work on a clamp idea. As i said both versions work extremely well. Plus to tune you use one adjuster rod bolt for each head seperately on both versions. I dont have the AT snare drum now only Autotune drums so my video will be all about the Autotune in depth.

Posted on 7 years ago

Sean-i can't wait to see that vid. I find these drums incredibly interesting. How goes the restore?

-Doug

late 60s Ludwig Standard kit (blue strata)
late 60s Star kit (red satin)
Tama Rockstar Custom
a few snares ...
Posted on 7 years ago

Just got back off holiday. So a couple of days then back in drum mode. Then this old beast will be back in former glory. Nearly there now with the project..

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here