Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Vintage & Value Of 18 Inch Tama Superstar Floor Tom

I recently picked up an 18 inch TAMA SUPERSTAR floor tom in what I believe the company calls its "Super Mahagony" finish.

I'll be putting it up for sale shortly and am trying to obtain some accurate information regarding the drum. I'll be selling the drum itself WITHOUT the legs.

Does anyone out there know what year this drum might have been manufactured? The serial number on the badge is 123153. From what I've researched, I'd guess around 1976. Does this make sense? Also, any idea what price this drum might bring on the open market?

THANKS in advance for your time and input!

Posted on 15 years ago

Your data might be a little off. It sure looks like the Super Mahogany finish to me. I LOVE that finish. As far as price......a lot!

I would guess that one of these would go for several c-notes, legless or otherwise. Dang nice drum.

Posted on 15 years ago

While it is a nice and probably rare drum, I don't think there is a big enough enough interest in old Tamas to get "several c notes."

The only thing I can say on it's value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Maybe check ebay and see if similar drums were sold and what their going rate was/amount of bidders.

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 15 years ago

On ebay, an 18 inch floor tom Tama Superstar in SuperMahohany finish sold on Jun 14 for $325.00. There's one on there right now with a buyitnow of $250.00. So, somewhere in there would be a good place to put it at. You will get it with little problem. The market is there.

Posted on 15 years ago

Anyone notice it still has its original heads on it? COOL!

Posted on 15 years ago

Sure did. That's one very nice piece.

Posted on 15 years ago

Definitely a nice piece. Legs are on ebay for maybe $20 so that will not really impact the price you sell it for. You will likely get in the $250+ range as other posters pointed out. The cleaner it is with few blemishes the higher the price obviously. There is a large and growing market for the Super Mahogany drums. This is a Super Mahogany Superstar.

The badge on your drum is the one used prior to 84. It has the 90 degree "T" in front of the word "Tama". After 84/85 they started using the slanted "T" in front of the Tama in the badge. Its hard to tell with the numbers to date it. There are some serial numbers that have the 82-xxxx or 83-xxxx or 84-xxxx and everyone assumes it means the year which it probably does to some extent but I have never seen a 81-xxx or 85-xxx. Its not earlier than 1979 as I think they were still making the satin Mahogany color or dark walnut. If you describe it as early 80's you'll be correct. The buyers who will want this know what it is. Just describe all the scratches, thats what everyone wants to know.

Also the drum is made of 6 plys of birch, 9 mm thick shell. Everyone who will want this drum knows this but its nice to put in the auction anyway.

The biggest pain in the arse is shipping it. Its large and you get hit with the extra shipping because of its size so make sure you get a maximum shipping cost to the furthest distance you are willing to send it before you list it.

Best of luck,

Ed

Posted on 15 years ago

I came oh so close to purchasing a set of these back in the early 80's. Love these kits. Great tone and unbelievable finish. Excellent stuff. If I had not sworn off newer kits this year, I would probably seek one of these out. Maybe something to think about in a few years.Hmmmm

Posted on 15 years ago

From OldSchool

I recently picked up an 18 inch TAMA SUPERSTAR floor tom in what I believe the company calls its "Super Mahagony" finish.I'll be putting it up for sale shortly and am trying to obtain some accurate information regarding the drum. I'll be selling the drum itself WITHOUT the legs. Does anyone out there know what year this drum might have been manufactured? The serial number on the badge is 123153. From what I've researched, I'd guess around 1976. Does this make sense? Also, any idea what price this drum might bring on the open market?THANKS in advance for your time and input!

Super-mahogany finish didn't appear in the Superstar drums line until 1982-1983; yours, like our '83 Superstars, share that same color finish from I could gather by looking at your photos.

Also have a 1980 Superstar kit (regulat sized rack toms) finished in SATIN mahogany to which I'd really love to add an 18" floor tom...just like our '83s has...but recently picked up a satin mahogany 14 rack tom from e-bay for $72! Yes Sir Excited

Did you ever sold yours?...

-elcid

"For God...King...and Spain!..." Rodrigo Dias de Vivar, El Cid...
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here