Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Vintage '67 Star Cocktail Outfit

I recently spotted what appeared to be an original Star 16" bass drum for sale. Star (Pre-Tama 1960's) did make some smaller kits for children, but this drum looked much like their regular line of drums. I messaged forum MIJ guru DrummerJohn333 and he quickly pointed me to some reference material. In the '67 Star General catalog, I found a Starfield Cocktail Outfit. It consisted of a 16x16 bass drum, 5.5 x14 snare drum with cowbell and mount on the snare drum, bass pedal and snare stand. I purchased the bass drum knowing that modern spurs had been added to it. I inquired about an original bass pedal or snare stand. The seller didn't have those but did have the original snare and gave me a nice price on it. The snare had also been modified with a modern strainer. The wrap/hardware on these cleaned up nicely. These are thin shells with re-rings (3ply I think).

I was able to get some needed parts from forum members Tmc333 (DFO) and Floydzking. Both guys really hooked me up. I used dowels and red sparkle material to fill the bass holes and install original spur mounts/ legs. I have not been able to find an original snare strainer yet, so have not done the hole filling on the snare drum. Was able to modify a snare stand center section to fit in the bass drum mount to accept a proper snare basket. John thinks he may have a bass drum pedal for me. Used some older Remo Coated Ambassador heads for the bass drum. Double thick felt strip on the batter side. The drums tuned easily and really sound nice in stock form. Forum member Ralf has a very nice website dedicated to Star Drums. Some great info there and nice eye candy. He was kind enough to post my set there under the cocktail kit setups. I'd recommend checking his site out for some great information on these drums. His site can be found at http://www.star-drums.de/ . Used a logo image that he provides for my reso head. Still looking for a MIJ cowbell from this era, and a correct snare strainer. Really enjoying these and just wanted to share them. Included a catalog pic and a before pic showing the bass drum as I found it. Felt really good bringing these back to their original glory.

Mike

Posted on 7 years ago

I love the idea...of this..

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 7 years ago

That is soo cool!

Posted on 7 years ago

I have a 18" Ludwig maple bass drum, I mocked up a top of snare stand to fit the 1" post bracket.

I've used it on a couple of outings, makes for a lonnnnng nite standing on one foot, leaning over to play the snare drum!

Posted on 7 years ago

Ludwig made a 12x18 with a post bracket. The bracket was close to the batter head just like the Star model. They used a matching piccolo snare with theirs and called it the Gold Coast Cocktail kit. Is this what you have or something else?

Posted on 7 years ago

That is a really neat little set-up. Great find and nice work getting it back closer to its original form.

Posted on 7 years ago

no mike, I have seen pic's off the gold coast kit, mine is a 18"x14", the post is closer to the front than rear.

I made my post from a cable drive hi-hat stand, has a goose neck with a lot of adjustments, but still a long nite standing on one foot.

Posted on 7 years ago

Awesome little kit !

Posted on 7 years ago

I Love it!!

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare