Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Vibrating snare wires

I just put on a new Evans resonant head on my 12" tom which is just above my snare,I like it real close. When I hit that tom the snare wires rattle real bad. Never had that problem before. I had an old Ludwig Weather Master clear ch- batter on it before, nothing wrong with it, just wanted everything to match. Anyone ever have this problem? Do I have to go with a heavier weight head?

Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

When you say that your snare and tom ar real close, what do you mean? Close pitch wise, or in physical proximity to each other. Eaither choice might be a reason why you may be getting so much snare rattle.

Perhaps try a wider interval of tuning, or move the snare a little away form the tom.

http://www.pkdrums.net
Posted on 15 years ago

That would be physical proximity. Been playing it like that for many moons, never had a problem, although I never used such a thin head there before.

Posted on 15 years ago

From my own personal experience... The thinner head is likely causing the tom to resonate more than before. Also, one of your tom heads may be tuned to a similar or sympathetic frequency to the snare, causing it to excite the snare more than before.

Fixes: Retune the tom (one of both heads), retune the snare (one or both heads) or move the tom away from the snare a tad, and see if that helps. Also note that the size of the room you play in REALLY has an impact on how much one drum excites another. A small room will usually make the drums excite the crap out of each other. In a larger room, the sound waves coming from the drums have somewhere to go and/or dissipate, so they excite the other drums less.

This is a real problem with Kent drums likely due to the very thin, resonant shells. I'm about to re-head a Kent kit (20", 12" 14") with thin heads and I may end up regretting it - LOL!!! I really want that open, higher-than-rock jazz sound.

I have another Kent kit in the larger 22", 13", 16" sizes and I ended up using Aquarian Studio X heads on top and Evans clears on the bottom. Even with the Studio X's thin muffle ring, they still ring out like a bell. Had to be very careful when tuning them up so as not to make the snare go batty.

Whatever you do, don't start slapping duct tape on the bottom of the snare head (across the snare wires) as I've seen suggested elsewhere.

Good luck and let us know if you solve the problem.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

I ended up tuning it down some. I had it tuned petty high like that Jazz sound you are going after, and it solved the buzzing. I also just built a riser to keep my kit up in case of rain( I get some seepage ) and I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Thanks for the reply

Lucky

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here