Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Very old marching snare drum - Help ID

I've recently obtained a very old marching snare drum that has no ID markings whatsoever. I'm attaching pictures of it so that some heavenly soul could at least tell me how old it is. It is is a 6" X 15 1/2 shell with tension rods that take a 1/4" key. The heads are cowhide. The drum key itself even looks ancient. The metal shell is metal and is no thicker than that of a tin can. The wooden rims have a unique design stamped or painted on them. Many Thanks[IMG]http://www.hickorygrovecemetery.com/Old Snare Drum.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 17 years ago

Interesting drum. The decal work on the wood rims appears to be...Celtic in design ... "knotwork" is what I believe it is called. My guess, then, would be that it is Irish in origin. Also, Irish calfskin heads are reknowned for their high quality and those heads appear to be in extremely good shape. The strainer device and snare wires appear to be missing, though. My guess would be the drum is from the 1920's or earlier.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

The dimensions look like it is a French or German army type, but German drums have a distinctive double carrying hook thing that is not what is on this drum. The ornate tuning key looks French as does the fancy hoop work. Some English marching drums for boys bands in the 1920s were a similar size but were much hunkier and now are usually all rusted and with brass or wood shells. Any marks inside the shell - which looks aluminum??

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here