Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Very early Pearl set- interesting hardware!

This is on Ebay now- way over priced but a good studyCool1

Pearl 50s on Ebay

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 13 years ago

I have never seen an MIJ with factory stick choppers.And notice the color of the drums interior-very dark for luan.The list of unique details-those little external mufflers,swivel spurs,Pearl/Tokyo-Osaka badges,hoop tom mount and calf heads.And yet the lug design and particular texture of the wrap carried to the late 60's.Now we have an example of what makes a 50's Pearl 50's.

Posted on 13 years ago

Wow can we say a copy fo a Slingerland?..The lugs,leg mounts on the bass,the t's and claws,tom mount on bass..Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

I came across a kit in a junk/pawn shop in Toronto, about 6 years ago, that was similar. It was totally rusty----I mean , brown hoops, t-rods, everything that should have been plated, except the lugs and a few parts of white metal , that were..... white, with piles of oxide pushing through the plating. It was a Butterscotch Swirl 4 piece kit, complete with all the hardware, stands, Bongos and bass drum mount. It had the faux sticksavers too. I guessed it to be from the 50's ; it was badged "Pyramid" with a triangular brass badge with a picture of a pyramid on it and calf heads. It seemed a very odd old Japanese kit, not at all like the 60's Stewarts and Silvertones and Bolleros that I was used to.-----completely useless in its state( 400.00 price tag). This one is the only one that I have seen similar to it.

Posted on 13 years ago

Please tell me, what are "stick choppers' and "stick savers?"

Thanks

My first kit was a MIJ "Crest" in red pearl.

SA

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 13 years ago

From green glass drum

Please tell me, what are "stick choppers' and "stick savers?"ThanksMy first kit was a MIJ "Crest" in red pearl.SA

It`s a lable for a type of rim !! Some rims will chop up your sticks some rims have another bend so the edge don`t dig in your stick !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

a hoop with a straight vertical flange is a stickchopper. when effecting a rim shot the sharp thin edge of the hoop can shatter the stick. Slingerland and many European drum companies curled the top of the hoop in, making a larger surface area for the stick to impact , therefore lessening the chance of the wood shattering. Slingerland dubbed their invention the sticksaver, so the other became after the fact , the stickchopper.-----because the drums pictured in this thread are slingerland copies, they have made a rather odd stickchopper copy. i really don't know why ; it would have been just about as easy to make a nice profiled hoop but the Japanese ,in their insatiable desire to be American opted for a form of authenticity.

Posted on 13 years ago

That set on Ebay is very interesting. Definetly a Slingerland Radio King Type copy. Very interesting tom mount and bass drum hardware. But yes, WAY overpriced. $250 is about right for that set.

Posted on 13 years ago

I'm posting the pics for reference...

Posted on 13 years ago

remainig pics....

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here