Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

value of 1967 ludwig kit,20"bass,12"tom

trying to put together a jazz kit and found some local store selling a 20"bass drum and a 12" mounted tom,mid 60;s ludwig silver sparkle.The drums are in very good condition and he wants me to make an offer.what would be a good deal on these?? they are just the 2 drums,and then the floor tom is probably going to cost a mint?? thanking you in advance,Andy

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, the floor tom IS going to cost you a mint! I haven't actually seen too many Downbeats for sale...mostly Super Classics lately, and they've been going for cheaper and cheaper.

A few years ago when I got my Downbeat, they were going for typically about $300 more than the Super Classics (around $1600ish for a Downbeat 3-piece). I don't know what they'd go for nowadays. Have you checked eBay?

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

I've been on what is more like an odyssey to find a floor tom for a Gretsch set that I got and I wouldn't wish the endless CL and ebay on anyone.

Luckily, if you get the two drums your search should be easier as there is a lot more Ludwig stuff.

Be careful with silver sparkle as it fades to a yellowish ginger ale and can be harder to match too for that reason. Budget $400 - 500 for that FT just to be safe although maybe you can get a better deal if you are patient and vigilant, and also because silver sparkle is not on the hotly desired end of the wrap spectrum.

Don't do anything until Mr Pricing -- Jaye chimes in, but I would say pay no more than $400 - $500 for those two drums. And that's assuming this is a single mount rail consolette set up and that these parts are there and in order.

For reference I just paid $1300 for a full downbeat set from 64 in champagne sparkle with a very nice supra, one owner incl stands and nothing special cymbals save maybe for an A zil set of hi hats. All this languished on CL for weeks for $1700.

Posted on 14 years ago

If you're not fussy about having the original configuration, you can find very good deals on 14" or 15" Ludwig marching snares or marching toms from the same era, and use one of those with a RIMS or ISS mount as your floor tom. I'm currently piecing together a Club Date/Combo set -- it came with the 20" bass and 12" tom; no floor -- and I didn't want to spend a mint on the floor tom. So I bought a 1966 marching snare shell for about $20, found the lugs for another $30 or so, and just need to pick up the rims and T-rods from the post office. Total outlay on that drum, including shipping for everything, was about $100.

Good luck!

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago

One more thing -- is this a Club Date or a Downbeat set? From what I understand, Club Dates generally sell for less (though lots of people love the single-lug look).

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago

From section2

One more thing -- is this a Club Date or a Downbeat set? From what I understand, Club Dates generally sell for less (though lots of people love the single-lug look).

That's a real important fundamental question. Compliments for raising it.

I realized I picked up the Downbeat assumption from a different post than the OP.

Obviously if its a Clubdate my thoughts on price are immaterial.

Posted on 14 years ago

What is the value of a 1965 Ludwig Club Date in very good condition???

Posted on 14 years ago

it is a downbeat set

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here