Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Value & Interest In Hayman Drums

I've got the opportunity to purchase a vintage 8-lug Hayman snare drum. However, I know very little about the collectibility and/or value of this particular brand.

I've limited my personal collection of vintage drums to American-made companies, but I do like the looks of this particular drum. I'm trying to get some feedback as to the positive or negative of adding this one to my collection.

I've attached a pic of the drum in question and would appreciate it GREATLY if any of you "experts" out there could provide me with some information regarding this one, in particular the age and fair market value.

THANKS in advance for your help!

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

A great many Hayman drums were issued in a wrap finish, so when you see one in what looks like a laquer finish, you have to ask 'has it been re-finished'. As you already probably know collectability is usual determined by the original un-fettled nature of the drum. Does it have a badge still? Does it look like the badge has been removed at any time? These factors all affect the value of the drum. Hayman are becoming more collectable (especially in the UK), and given the current climate id expect to pick this drum up for no more than $150.Excited

Posted on 15 years ago

Appreciate the input!

It's my understanding that the drum did have a wrap, which was removed and the wood treated and/or polished. The original badge IS still mounted on the drum. Not sure whether it had to be removed when the wrap was removed. Personally I like the "woody" look although, as I previously stated, I have no idea what vintage Haymans are worth.

Does this particular snare drum have a specific model name or number?

Any idea what year it was manufactured?

THANKS AGAIN.

Posted on 15 years ago

some older Hayman catalogs reside at http://www.drumarchive.com/Hayman/

Posted on 15 years ago

Just not a good investment here in the USA. There are not a lot of people collecting them. Finding parts is hard to do and the wrap was taken off.

I would say $100 - $150 in that condition. (As stated by Bigz) Which I did not originally see, so we are on the same page with value.

I have no catalogs in my collection for them, but since Andy is not in the USA

drumarchive is a good place to gather information.

Davod

Posted on 15 years ago

THANKS to all for the feedback!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here