Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Valuation on 1970's Slingerlands...

Hello All,

Just recently purchased a set of Slingerlands in very good overall condition. Previous owner was a professional musician and kept them very clean. I am curious as to what the general value of this kit is in today's market. I spent $2,000.00 for the kit (which included cymbals, cases, hardware, etc...) All badges are oval Niles.

Description:

1. Snare drum is a 1979 C.O.B., 6.5" x 14", 2:1 (12 lugs on top, 6 on bottom), stick saver chrome rims, internal muffling device, inside finish is unbuffed/non-brilliant metal, 3-point throw-off, excellent condition.

2. Bass drum is 1973-75, chrome over wood (maple), 14" x 22", inside finish is natural, reinforcement rings, T-rod tension rods, 10 lugs per side, with painted black maple wood hoops (with a 1/2 inch strip of chrome in the center). Good condition. light scratches from claws and bass pedal rash.

3. Mounted tom #1 is 1973-75, chrome over wood (maple), 3-ply, 8" x 12", inside finish is natural, reinforcement rings, 6 lugs top & bottom. stick saver chrome rims, and internal muffling device. Excellent condition.

4. Mounted tom #2 is same as #1 with 9"x 13" dimensions. Excellent condition.

5. Floor tom is same as Mounted tom #1 with 16" x16" dimensions and 8 lugs top & bottom. Excellent condition.

Also, I have a set of Paiste 2002 cymbals and Sound edge hi-hats from the same era. 14" hi-hats, 16" crash, 18" crash, and 20" Heavy Ride. Great condition. I don't have a price point for these, as I bought the kit for the Slingerland value mainly.

Note: everything is original. No extra holes, modifications, etc...

Thank you for your thoughts on the value of these items,

Chris

Posted on 15 years ago

I would say it is worth less if you sell in today's market.

I would like to see the snare with the 3-point strainer..

Maybe a cymbal guy can give a current value on the cymbals..

COW Slingerlands are not a set that will go up in value much over time.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for replying David,

I posted on the Vintage Cymbal forum for an estimate on valuation, and I suppose the Paiste set is worth about $550-600.

When I paid $2k for the set, I had done some research and the price did seem a little high. eBay had shell packs (12", 13", 16", 22") for about $600-$800. I justified it as a fair deal though due to the fact that the seller was including hard cases for every drum, 1 cymbal bag, 1 trap case, 2 hardware cases, DW 5000 pedal and 5000 hi-hat stand, Pearl snare stand, and 2 Tama and 2 Pearl cymbal boom stands (and the Paiste cymbals).

The difference from the cymbals and hardware/pedals/cases/extras, means I probably paid about $900-$1,000 for the shells. He said he knew a fellow professional that valued the whole package at $5k. I wasn't that gullible, but I still figured $2k was a fair price.

I will post pics of the entire kit as soon as I can, but I believe it's a 3-point strainer on the 2:1

Chris

Posted on 15 years ago

I think, in nice shape, you did OK. Not a steal, but a fair price with all the cymbals, stands etc. I've noticed a "new" group of collectors into the chrome and black chrome finishes. Enjoy them!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here