Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Valuation Gretsch Stop Sign '78

Hi, I'm new there, Alberto from Italy, nice to meet you!

I'd like to know the value of this Gretsch kit, the sizes are 18x14, 12x8, 14x14 and 14x5 snare (not in picture).

As you can see, the condition is not so good, the tom color is different and it's a little ovalized, (this moring I tried to put an ambassador on and it didn't fit very well, and also had some wrinkles on a side until it wasn't quite tight), the bearing edges have some dents and there are some scratches around the kit.

I've hadn't already bought this kit, the owner lend it to me to valuate, and I guess that he dosen't know what kind of instrument is it (you see the pinstripes...).

I'm a jazz drummer so I really like this kind of drums, the questions are:

-after looked over the defects of this kit, what do you think could be the right price to pay for?

-is possible to "restore" the bearing edges and to get back the tom to a round shape?

Here are the pictures:

Thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

No one?need more info?

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Those are very valuable sizes for gretsch drums, especially the bass drum and floor tom, and they match. If the rack tom is the one that is out of round, and it doesn't match the kit anyways, just sell it off for parts, and use the money to find and pay for a matching replacement. I would value the kick drum and floor tom at around $1500 USD or more just by themselves, so offer the seller that or a little more for the whole kit, and keep the snare or sell it off too.

Posted on 16 years ago

Great, thanks.

Just one question: where do you think that i could find the tom and some other original parts (like the frontal bass drum's lugs that are not original).

I took a look on ebay and I couldn't find nothing...I live in Italy so it may be better if you know some place in Europe Cool1

Posted on 16 years ago

You can get the lugs from Repercussions, or on Ebay or Craigslist. I see lugs and parts all the time on ebay. Just be patient, they will show up. I don't know of anything local for Italy. Hope this helps.

Posted on 16 years ago

it seems that your set is missing the tom holder tube/post. The bearings edges can be fixed by cutting new ones (with same original profile please) or by filling the existing gaps. Unless the 12" tom is really out of round I wouldn't do anything. How does it sound after some tension on those heads? It would be a shame to break up an original set...

just my two (euro) cents!

myspace.jcymbal
youtube/jkcymbal
Posted on 16 years ago

I second that opinion!Cool1

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here