Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Using re-rings as hoops?

I've had a brainstorm:

Drum Foundry sells 8-ply Keller reinforcing rings for about $6 per. I'm wondering if it's possible to buy re-rings 1" bigger than my shells and use the re-rings as hoops on my toms and snare. (e.g. for my 12" tom, I'd use 13" re-rings.) This would save a boatload of money, as the next lowest price for wood hoops is about $35 per hoop from Precision Drum.

My main concern is whether the hoops' diameters would be too big to sit on the heads. An 8-ply Keller ring is 0.21" thick, so by my math (which is unreliable at the best of times), that means the interior diameter of the hoop will exceed the diameter of the shell by .29 inches on each side of the drum. The question, then, is whether there are heads whose counterhoops are more than .29" wide. (To use my 12" tom example again, the head [including counterhoops] would have to be more than 12.58" wide.) I hear that Aquarian American Vintage heads are extra-wide -- but are they wide enough for this stunt to work?

Any feedback would, as always, be much appreciated. Thanks!

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 15 years ago

Pay the 35 bucks.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

The rering is sculpted to lay flat against the inside of the shell. You would have to round that in order to have it work as a hoop. So, in essence, you would need to do some shaping of the hoop (rounded top, flat bottom, smooth even sides, tapered to fit on the outside of the shell) for it to hold the head correctly. If you have the skills, give it a go and post the results. I would be curious about this. That bit of work may be the difference in the cost. I'm not even close to this level of woodwork. But, I can bake a seriously good apple pie! I have the blue ribbon to prove it.

Posted on 15 years ago

Ah! Now I see the difference. I haven't got anything like those skills either. I'll stick to baking. :)

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here