Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Using muffler knobs for Zoomatics

Hi all -- I picked up a COB snare from ebay, and the strainer, natch, is in pieces.

It's a Zoomatic with the 'idiot tab,' but no knob. I've searched the forum and found good ideas, one of which was to use the knob from a tom muffler to replace it.

No, it isn't correct, and it doesn't look right, but this snare isn't going to be restored -- it'll be cleaned up and used...

I see a couple of mufflers on ebay, but I can't tell how the bolt shaft is connected. Press fit? Surely that can't be one cast piece!

I know Jim Petty can do this for a fee -- and I know he'd do a helluva job. I've done business with him in the past and his work is uniformly excellent. Plus he's fun to to talk to. But I don't want to go that route if I can put something together.

I have to say, the Zoomatic strikes me as an odd piece of engineering.... but it is cool, interesting....

Posted on 12 years ago

Okay, and -- bear with me -- the theory on these is new to me.

The knob attaches to a left hand threaded rod, which goes into a fitting (similar in appearance to a vent grommet, if you get me) that goes through the shell. That fitting itself is also threaded to secure inside the shell. Turning the knob levers the whole strainer body out from the shell.... and that's how the snares are adjusted. Am I getting this?

Not sure if this is the better mousetrap, but I sure give them credit for coming up with it.

I'm not going to go nuts restoring this (famous last words) so I COULD put on the Trick throw off... but aesthetically? Nah!

Posted on 12 years ago

The knob on a Slingerland muffler just screws off.... the end of the shaft might be burred and the threaded part of the knob is soft brass, so you might get some thread damage removing it.

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

That's good news -- the post I found from the guy who had used those knobs said he had to enlarge the hole anyway... I'm not sure how I'd attached it, given that the original was a press fit. Although I did find a post that he'd wrapped it with a few layers of Teflon plumbing tape, and it had stayed snug.

It's sure worth looking into.

Thanks for the help!

Posted on 12 years ago

Hi bfulton! I believe that post you saw was from me! It's been quite a few years since I did this and never did write down the size drill bit I used. I believe I just held up the end of some different size bits to the Zoomatic shaft and picked the one I felt would give a proper press fit to the knob. Note that you can still see the inside threads in the knob, so I know I didn't have to enlarge the hole that much. As you can see, I did use a Slingerland large tone control knob, but you could easily use any knob that you like. I NEVER had a problem with those Slingy knobs pulling off!

Yes, Jim Petty is fun to talk to! He's not been feeling well lately and is behind on work. I sent the top section of my Rogers "Giant" snare stand to him for repairs months ago. I told him I'd check back the first week of 2012 and see how he's doing. As for his Zoomatic rebuild, yes, it's pricey at $100, but you can bet it will be first rate!

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Just sent an email....

Posted on 12 years ago

I appreciate the tip on the size... just gotta fing a good know to use. Not too small, not too large.

Sorry to hear JP's under the weather. I've alluded a few times to my old hobby of restoring cars, and really cam to appreciate the value of a high level, high integrity craftsman. And in my book he is one.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here